Cloth Diapers vs. disposable

I use disposable diapers. But I do have a few cloth diapers lying around in case I ever run out of disposables and don't have time to go to the store. I love the convince of the disposable. You change the baby and throw them away. With the cloth diapers you have to rinse them out then wash them. I wouldn't want to wash the cloth diapers with my babies clothes. I think that's kinda gross. I wash all my underwear/bras ect separate from my clothes. But the cloth diapers are so little I would have to do such small loads it would kinda defeat the propose of saving money from not buying the disposables. Not that I need the extra money. Also I wouldn't want to wait for a bunch of cloth diapers to be dirty before I washed them. Those of you who use cloth diapers, why do you use them? Is it because it's cheaper than diapers? Do you feel cloth diapers are more sanitary? Do you hand wash them? Disposable users views?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't use them because my washer (and it's brand new and a nice model) doesn't get hot enough to kill the coliforms (fecal bacteria) and would require extra cleaning. My diapers would have to be sent out which is too expensive and is just as bad for the environment because of the gas/energy spent using the diaper service. Believe it or not, you contribute fecal bacteria to your washer each time you put your own underwear in and your washer can become a breeding ground for bacteria without regular cleaning. I don't see how the energy spent cleaning out my washer more frequently, energy washing the diapers and extra water that would need to be used even if I could use my washer to clean cloth diapers is any better than using disposable ones. They make biodegradable diapers as well as chlorine and bleach free diapers which are better for baby's skin and the environment. Cloth diapers are just a waste in my eyes.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:04 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• they're cheaper after the 1st purchase, no harmful chemicals on my little one's sensitive area, less diapers and plastic bags in our landfills. it takes time and laundry money, but it's worth it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Studies have shown you have an impact on the env. with cloth by the consumption of the water and the use of laundry soap.

Cloth are good to prevent rashes.

On my second, I used Seventh Generation disposables and i went to use cloth bags at the grocery store. That's how I made my contribution to the environment.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 2:08 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Yes, cloth diapers use a little bit of extra water. However, if you are using a natural laundry soap (which you should be with a cloth diaper anyways) there is little to no impact on the environment from that. Also consider that water is also used to make disposables (not to mention all the chemicals) and I firmly believe that the chemicals and the manufacturing process has a much bigger impact from disposables. EACH disposable diaper takes 500 years to break down. Usually from birth to the age of one, a child goes through about 5000 diaper changes. That's 25,000 years of cumulative breakdown--from just one year and just one baby. Water is a renewable source.

I use cloth because it is cheaper and better for the environment. I feel it is more sanitary because the poop is dumped into the toilet, not sent to a landfill to contaminate drinking water.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 5:36 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I use cloth, primarily because of the cost issue. Over time, you save a lot of money. I wash them with my regular laundry, so I don't feel that I use SOOOOOOO much extra. Once a month, I do a load of just diapers, with white vinegar and a little detergent. Personally, I love the cloth diapers.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:28 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I use cloth. I don't like the chemicals in disposibles. I don't like going and wasting money on something that I will just throw away. I love saving money and I can with cloth. I do care about the earth so it makes me feel better that I don't add to the landfills. Cloth is much cuter. I do not wash diapers with my baby's clothes, I do a seperate load every few days. You can't tell I even have them in my house because they don't stink(my pail has a tight lid) and no, I do not have to rinse them and wash them. And I certainly do feel they are sanitary. I have no idea what happens in a factory where they make sposies. I know how I wash my diapers and I know they smell fresh.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:12 AM on Feb. 19, 2009