My son is 5 and was in pre-school last year. The Pre-school teacher said that she did not feel he was ready for Kindergarten but my mom said that if I held him back a year then when he did go to K he would be older than the other kids and that he would graduate a year later and might be made fun of etc...
So I went ahead and put him in K. So far he has been disruptive, he has hit other children. He wrote on a boys shirt and ruined it and now I am responsible for paying for the shirt. His teacher has already took away his recess for the last three days and a couple of the parents have called in, complaining about him and asked that he be kept away from their children.
Apparently he is overly friendly, gets into other kids personal space, tries to hug kids and is too hands on. One little boy even told his mom that if my son doesn't leave him alone and stay out of his face he is going to beat him up.
At the bus stop today a few of the mothers there have kids in my sons class and they told me that they feel my son should be removed from the K class and put back into pre-school. One of the mothers also said that due to his speech delay and his ADHD that he should not go to a public school but needs to be in a school for MRDD.
I am going to call tomorrow and see if I can get him back into his old pre-school class and if not there then I will try head start but I am debating whether to keep him in the K class until I can get him placed somewhere else. And if the Pre-K has no openings, should I continue sending him to K or should I just uninroll him and keep him home with me another year until he matures more? He will be 6 in January so next year legally he has to be in K.
Should I send him to school tomorrow or just go into the school and tell them I am pulling him out? The other mothers have already made it known to both myself and the school that they do not want him there.
A couple of the kids won't even sit next to him on the bus anymore before he is too hyper and too hands on. I just don't know what is the best thing to do.
Answer by kmath at 9:20 PM on Sep. 4, 2013
Answer by Crafty26 at 9:21 PM on Sep. 4, 2013
Answer by Crafty26 at 9:23 PM on Sep. 4, 2013
Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:26 PM on Sep. 4, 2013
Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:26 PM on Sep. 4, 2013
I would make an appointment to speak to the Principal of the School & tell him/her your concerns & see if you CAN send him again to K next year. The Schools here only allow you to start K once & not again. So here you would be stuck sending him. I would definitely see if you can send him again next year though! My Son started at 6 in K because I knew he just wasn't ready so I did 2 years of Preschool & it;s the BEST choice I ever made. He did SO much better in K than he would have if I started him a year earlier. So call the School tomorrow & talk to someone & don't hesitate to do what you feel is right if you can. No one teases my Son at all. Actually, most of the kids in his K class were 6! BTW, I think those Moms were rude to tell you their opinions unless you asked. Welcome back too ;)
Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:28 PM on Sep. 4, 2013
Answer by QuinnMae at 9:56 PM on Sep. 4, 2013
Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:40 PM on Sep. 4, 2013