Herb Wall

When I lived in MN I built an indoor herb wall with a large frame and a felt and soft wire back.  It was really nice because in the depths of the Winter That Does Not End™ I always had fresh herbs.

Now that I'm in Chicago I have much less space to do this and was looking at this one.  Do you think that would be appropriate for a small apartment?  If so, what top six herbs would you suggest I put in?

Mrs_Prissy

Asked by Mrs_Prissy at 10:14 PM on Sep. 4, 2013 in Home & Garden

• I love that! I would do parsley, oregano, rosemary, cilantro, dill & basil.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 10:31 PM on Sep. 4, 2013

• Now that I read more it looks like this won't work long term because they need more drainage and the roots don't like the light
    Mrs_Prissy

Comment by Mrs_Prissy (original poster) at 10:38 PM on Sep. 4, 2013

• Love it! The only thing is there are no drainage holes so you may get root rot. Maybe use terracotta pots & at the bottom of the whole thing add like an aluminum pan to catch the drippings?? Great idea though! I love to grow herbs. Last year we planted parsley seeds in a pot outside & it's now perennial. BUT!!! It attracted Swallowtail Butterflies & we had tons of huge caterpillars. My Son collected them & put them in bug holders & when they turned into butterflies he released them. BTW, have you grown lemon balm? It's delish in tea & grows like a week, you can't kill it! Enjoy!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:07 AM on Sep. 5, 2013