I have stored a Brio train set and wooden Lincoln Logs sets in storage. Unfortunately, mice got into the container and nested there. How can I clean/sanitize the wooden toys.

I'm saving these wooden toys for my grandkids someday. Because they have been soiled by mice, I want to clean them now and store them again in a better (mice-proof) container. any ideas on how to clean the wooden toys?

sol90terra

Asked by sol90terra at 11:45 PM on Sep. 4, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would throw them away. Try Ebay for another set.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:54 PM on Sep. 4, 2013

• There is no way to really clean wood since its a porous material. You might be able to spray it with something like Lysol, let them dry out completely ( for several days) and then store them in a plastic airtight bin.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:19 AM on Sep. 5, 2013

• I'm not sure if this would work for wooden toys or not, especially depending on what kind of a finish has been used on them. But when I used to rescue large parrots from abusive or neglectful owners, I'd get thick wooden branches for them to perch on and pine cones for them to pull apart. As long as I knew they hadn't been sprayed with pesticides, I'd put them in the oven on a fairly low temperature for several hours to kill any organisms lurking in their crevices. Good luck.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:26 AM on Sep. 5, 2013

• I really have to agree with staci. Just replace them because mouse pee is so nasty and you really can't put soiled wood items in a dishwasher or washing machine, which is how I would sanitize most things.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 1:02 AM on Sep. 5, 2013

• I would get a bucket, dump everything in, add dish soap & a touch of bleach. Fill it with the garden hose & let it sit outside for a while. Then keep rinsing the bucket with the hose. Dry the pieces off & let sit in the sun until dry. I wash wooden toys all the time.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:15 AM on Sep. 5, 2013

• I clean toys weekly at my preschool, even the wooden toys. We use bleach water. Let the toys soak for about 3 minutes, let air dry overnight.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:03 PM on Sep. 11, 2013