90% of people still wash chicken?

Honestly? I know this has come up here before, and it always seemed the majority knew better than to spatter salmonella around the kitchen like that. Are there really that many people who still do it, or did the Today show make up some wildass guessed number reading their coming up stories just now?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:18 AM on Sep. 5, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Probably a good number still do. We are told so often to wash wash wash, that to not wash chicken seems odd. I am surprised when the cooks on TV handle chicken or meat and then run their hands quickly under the water and assume their hands are clean.

Answer by Bmat at 8:22 AM on Sep. 5, 2013

• I wash turkey...never wash chicken!
    and after I do the turkey I always wipe down everything
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:27 AM on Sep. 5, 2013

• I always wash a whole chicken. No way could I just take the giblets out and then not rinse it - gross! But then while the chicken is cooking I disinfect my sink.

Answer by missanc at 8:33 AM on Sep. 5, 2013

• I don't know, but my DH just asked me Sunday if I knew I that you're not supposed to wash/rinse chicken. I think he just recently read something about it. I pretty sure it was new info for him.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:38 AM on Sep. 5, 2013

• i don't understand why meat that's going to be cooked needs to be washed in the first place? i never wash my meat... gross.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:40 AM on Sep. 5, 2013

• My mom is 69 yrs old. She has always washed it, and always will. That's how we was raised. But...when she was a kid they raised and killed their own chickens, so maybe that's why she thinks they need washing. Idk.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 8:53 AM on Sep. 5, 2013

• I don't wash my chicken, but I do soak it overnight in salt water.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 9:23 AM on Sep. 5, 2013

• I don't even Touch the chicken if I can help it. I use tongs for everything, but when I am stuffing the turkey I'm just blegh I hate the texture of it on my hands, it gives me the heebies to know that all those germs are on this slick chicken haha.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:24 AM on Sep. 5, 2013

• Why do people wash it? Do they think that bacteria only grow on the outside and not in the tissue?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:42 AM on Sep. 5, 2013

• Oh, and to the other point, it's NBC. They pull stuff out of their asses all the time. It's highly likely it's a made up statistic. I'm kind of surprised it wasn't 70%.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:43 AM on Sep. 5, 2013