Well alrighty then

discriminatory much? as a believer in the lord (whatever religion that might be, dont want to single christians out) do you feel this way too?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 10:43 AM on Sep. 5, 2013 in Religious Debate

• As a Christian, I don't feel this way. I don't want anyone trying to influence my children on what to believe. As of now, they go to church with me, if they want to explore other religions, I won't hold them back or deter them from it.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:49 AM on Sep. 5, 2013

• This is where fellowship is important and talked about in the Bible.

Yes, I do hope that my children are surrounded with people that encourage them to go down the same path I have taught them.

I do not tell them they cannot be around someone who does not believe the same but am happy when they are around others who do believe and encourage as we do.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 11:02 AM on Sep. 5, 2013

• i dont feel that way, but it is a common idea in Christianity...its in the Bible. in order to keep yourself a good Christian you have to surround yourself mostly with other good Christians. personally, i want my kids to be surround by good people, regardless of their religious beliefs. that way when they enter the real world they will know how to handle religious diversity.

the thing i always love about this idea, is that the most unChristian things i did as a teen were with the kids from my youth group. the guys i dated that were the most pushy about sex stuff were from the youth group. oh and the adults that i was surrounded by that were Christians are a lot of the reason why im no longer one...90% of them were hypocritical jerks. surrounding myself with friends and adults who pointed toward God pushed me away from God. not something id wish on my kids...
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:03 AM on Sep. 5, 2013

• No, I pray my children are surrounded by people who love and support them. I don't care what their religion is as long there is no pressure that a certain belief is the right way, etc.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 11:03 AM on Sep. 5, 2013

• as an atheist, i want my children surrounded by good people too- christians, wiccans, whatever. their religion doesnt matter as much as their moral compass does.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 11:06 AM on Sep. 5, 2013

• I honestly believe the goal of any mother would be that her children are surround by good people who are a good influence regardless of belief. I can't see wanting it any other way.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 11:08 AM on Sep. 5, 2013

• I'd reverse the phrasing. "Don't surround my kids with people who will point them toward evil."

Answer by gdiamante at 11:13 AM on Sep. 5, 2013

• It's interesting to me that some people equate a good influence for their kids and the only people that can continue to push their kids down the spiritual path they have pushed them down are those of that belief system only.
    People of other beliefs are capable of supporting and encouraging those of who happen to believe differently. If I find something that seems uplifting and encouraging for my friends of the Christian faith I will send it to them bc I know it means something to them.

If I surrounded my self only with people who the same beliefs as me I'd be pretty lonely and bored. Diversity makes the world go around in an interesting way:)
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:17 AM on Sep. 5, 2013

• Yes, I hope they have good Christian friends. And they do, along with friends who are raised Buddhist, Muslim among other religions and some who are atheist. The quote doesn't say "surround my child with ONLY kids and adults . . . "

Answer by missanc at 11:25 AM on Sep. 5, 2013

• I know my mom and a bunch of family felt that way about us...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:51 PM on Sep. 5, 2013