• In the Spotlight:

Cracked Feet

I have sufferede from cracked heels for years. I get really deep and painful cracks. I file the skin down around the cracks and apply Gold Bond and it helps a lot. But after a while, the cracks come back. I know it is probably from being on my feet a lot every day and wearing shoes without good support. I was wondering if any of you have the same problems and can share some good tactics to get the heels nice and smoot again. Maybe my fissures are just so deep now that they will never go away unless I have surgery on my feet? Please help. My heels looks so bad and sometimes the cracks get so bad they hurt a lot.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Health

• I use a pumace on my feet in the shower everyday, i apply lotion for cracked feet burts bees and md manicure both have good ones that i like, i put the lotion on before bed abd wear light no show socks to bed, i have only had really bad heels once since then i have been a crazy woman about my feet it was so painful i never want to get there again.

if they are really bad you'll need to soak them for 30-45 minutes in very warm water then use the pumace and also they have other tools, i bought the pedicure kit from ms manicure, you are going to need them to soften really well to get the dead skin off, you can get the ms manicure at target and walmart and rite aid too i think.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:05 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Thanks, 3 ring circus. That was helpful. I wear socks over a thick layer of lotion, too. Did your cracks disappear or can you still see the lines? If they are really deep, they probably cannot heal completely after removing the dead skin around them? I imagine it is like the skin had been permanently separated deeps down in the deepest layers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I only have problems in the summer because i wear sandals alot other wise i am in snow boots and tennies the rest of the year lol, but in the summer as long as i keep on top of it the problem doesnt come back but as soon as i forget im in trouble, i do have a few rough spots that i think are damage from the really bad summer as i call it, but i have noticed as long as i keep exfoliating them and moisturizing them they are fine and dont look bad. It will take awhile to remove all the dead skin youll probably have to soak a few times over a week or two. I dont seem to have permanent cracks.

I know how painful it is, i wanted to scream from the pain when it happened to me.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:14 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• i have the same thing. Ive had it since I was a teen. the best thing I notived was when i wore sneakers with socks alot. i mean alot though, I was a waitress so i had no choice. the other thing is to get one of those corn shavers but the only thing with those is its a quick fix, once your skin grows back its even harder. the best way that always works like a charm is to get pedicures atleast once a month. after a few months your feet will look so pretty and toes too. you have to keep up with th peddies or else its just another quick fix but i promise you if you can afford it definately go for it besides pedicures are soooo relaxing.
    michelle.

Answer by michelle. at 3:30 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I have the same problem, too. My cracks (fissures) get so deep I can feel it way up inside my foot. I push Neosporin into them with a Q-tip, apply a thick layer of cream (not lotion), and wear thick socks to bed. I get like this all winter long and it's agony.
    Right now I am using a cream called "Miracle Foot Repair" and it works better than the other foot creams I've used in the past. My deep cracks are healed, for the most part, but my feet are so dry, scaly, and rough!
    It gets better in the summer when I am able to go barefoot a lot, but I still try to keep them moisturized.
    At this point, I don't think anything I do activates the problem, it's just a part of my body's natural action.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one, though. Try the cream I'm using and see if it helps you. I bought it because it says it's safe for diabetics - if it's good for them, then it's good for me, right?
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 12:00 PM on Feb. 20, 2009