Catty soccer moms?

Soccer starts this month.. the first practice day was for TODAY and it had been planned like that for over a month now. I get an e-mail on Tuesday night saying that the first practice had been changed for Wednesday (yesterday)... and I wrote back saying I work that day, it doesn't work for me, I was counting on the Thursday practice... She, the coach, wrote back saying ''Well, Wednesday works for the rest of us, your daughter can just catch up on Saturday.."

There is an actual GAME on Saturday, and my daughter has never, ever played soccer..! I'm pissed, I've already paid for this though... so my kid is already behind, because the original date made a month in advanced changed just like that. I have a job I have to go to, I can't change everything just like that like these yuppies.

Just not sure how to deal with this/them. She hasn't played yet, and I'm already disappointed in how the coach is.

anestheticsex

Asked by anestheticsex at 12:00 PM on Sep. 5, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Ask somoen else to take your daughter to practice, I don't get where the 'catty' comes in, perhaps the field is not open that day, or they are doing work on it? I wouldnt be so quick to judge, I would find a way to get your kid to practice that day, and then work out something with another mother.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 1:23 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• I suggest talking to the coach (with a smile) about getting you into the loop. Is there way to email changes in advance, and more importantly, she might be able help your DD get into a carpool with another team member. The other moms are not your enemy, they can be super helpful if you let them.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 3:01 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• I guess you'd hate me as a coach too... my email to parents last night...

Seems we have a bit of a monkey wrench in this week's schedule... Due to the Open House scheduled at XXXX school on Thursday, we are not able to practice on our fields. We have the OK to reschedule to Friday. I realize this is short notice so if you can't make it, I understand. But I’d like to run practice for anyone who can show up. PLEASE let me know if your daughter can make the Friday practice… same time… 5-6:30 pm. Our first game is Saturday starting @ 2:00 – so you will need to arrive 30 minutes early so we can warm up and start on time!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:38 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• ....I've been coaching for three years now and our league has run up against this many times. And believe me it has NOTHING to do with being "yuppie". I'm kind of offended by that. Both my U10 travel team and my U8 co-ed team had their schedules changed this week... It happens... with field availability, etc... It's not always in the coaches control.

You have to remember... Youth sports organizations are run by volunteers. They are not getting paid to plan and run this stuff. So, if you don't like the way it's done I strongly urge you to get involved!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:40 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• Go to the board. They can't just change it like that.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 12:02 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• That would piss me off. I'd tell them that you want your money back as they are not adhering to the times/dates they advertised.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 12:12 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• As a working mom, I'm completely used to it. When my son played soccer I made sure he joined a league that only had weekend games AND practices. I can't make anything before 6pm Monday - Friday. It's hard enough trying to work around school appointments, etc. When he was in preschool, I was one of TWO working moms in the class of 15 kids. They were always scheduling play dates in the middle of the day and we could never go. Hell, once one mom even scheduled her daughter's BIRTHDAY PARTY at like 1:30pm on a TUESDAY. We weren't at that either.

Anyway, as to your situation, I think it's effed up that the coach seemingly checked with everyone else but you before changing the dates. Did you pay for the league knowing what day practice was on? I'd write her back and ask that she please keep the practice day the same each week, or at least give you enough notice to work around your schedule, especially if the league doesn't refund.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:19 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• Is there another team in the league that has a more workable schedule? Can she be switched to another team?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:22 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• Is there a Mom that could take your child to the practice? With our sons baseball some of the Moms couldn't get off work, so we helped each other out. You might want to contact the coach, get a few names/numbers, and call to see if anyone can help you out.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:35 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• My son is playing soccer for the first time this year too. When I signed him up she said practice will start around 6,(works for me) than when it starts getting dark earlier will change to an earlier time. We got the email last week, practice is at 5. So I told her practice times do not work for me, so I asked the coach if she can pick him up if not he will still get there but never on time. so far this is what will happen.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:56 PM on Sep. 5, 2013