Trying to decide if I should take her back to the doctor...

Dd's missed this whole week of school, and won't be able to go tomorrow either. She's never been sick for this long.

She was diagnosed on Tuesday with a viral infection. Temp fluctuates from low grade to 102 back to 99.5 and then 101. It's a roller coaster.

Her only complaint is her nose and throat hurts. She does sound like a frog too. Other than that she's not legargic. She just galloped past me a min ago.

So what I'm wondering if it's common for a fever to last 4 days with a viral infection. I'm going to call the office as soon as they reopen, but thought I'd ask you ladies in the meantime.

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 3:00 PM on Sep. 5, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Did they do a strep test?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:01 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• I bet they will want to see her again. That seems long. I would call when they open, I don't think it's an ER situation or anything. GL hope she feels better soon!
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 3:03 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• Yes. It came back negative, however, the nurse wasn't sure if she got enough sample. Dd threw a fit and wouldn't let her try again.
    PandaGwen

Comment by PandaGwen (original poster) at 3:04 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• I'd be more concerned if she was lethargic, but she's running around and her appetite is better than normal.
    PandaGwen

Comment by PandaGwen (original poster) at 3:05 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• Take her back in. Likely Murphy's law will apply and she wont have a fever or symptoms at her appointment. Missing so much school stinks! Sorry!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:06 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• That exactly what I'm afraid will happen. She'll be perfectly fine when we get there. Lol
    PandaGwen

Comment by PandaGwen (original poster) at 3:07 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• I'm the odd man out on this one. If she's seemingly okay energy and appetite-wise I don't think you need to take her back in. Viral infections can last up to 10 days and not be outside the norm. Her fever isn't over the top either. Keep her hydrated and rested and I bet she's a-ok by Monday.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:13 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• That's what I'm thinking too, Prissy. She's drinking plenty. She's had 4 liters of flavored water so far today. Big glass of milk, oj, and a green smoothie. She's now asking to go outside and jump. Lol.
    PandaGwen

Comment by PandaGwen (original poster) at 3:19 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• When my DD missed that much school they sent work home
    Whenever she had the energy she completed assignments

Have you called the school?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 4:38 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• It sounds to me like she's okay. The fever is doing what it's supposed to do, fighting off the virus in her body. Call the doctor, but unless you get orders to march her right on down there in a hurry, I wouldn't. Sometimes these things just take time to heal, and it seems like your daughter is in fine form.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:40 PM on Sep. 5, 2013