Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What should I not forget going overseas?

I will be traveling to Europe. Taking my 2 sons to stay there with me for 4 months. What would you take with you? Besides them. DH travels too, but he cannot stay that long.

Answer Question

Asked by kujus04 at 4:00 PM on Sep. 5, 2013 in Travel

Level 13 (1,171 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • Passports, medical records, printed list of emergency numbers (do not rely on your phone).

    Answer by PartyGalAnne at 4:02 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

  • You'll need a power inverter if you bring any hair dryer or small appliance like that. Europe runs on 220 volts, while the US runs on 110.

    They're about a 10 inch box, and heavy as hell. I would suggest getting one (or three) when you get there.

    Answer by Rosehawk at 4:22 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

  • All necessary insurance information.

    Answer by Ballad at 4:25 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

  • Depending on where you are staying they might provide converters for our appliances, as Rosehawk said, I would purchase on there, instead of here! I would also say any important documents aside from your passports, just in case your passport gets lost, it would be a good idea to have SS cards and birth certifiicates that you pack and fly with seperate, put them in a safe or somewhere other than your hotel room when you arrive.

    Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 4:44 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

  • A plug converter for my hair dryer.

    Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:53 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

  • LOL! I said the same thing as Rosehawk!

    Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:56 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

  • What PGA said And for electronics. You are staying over their for that long? Buy them over their.  Migh as well leave the American stuff at home.  Cause you might fry it over there


    Answer by louise2 at 5:06 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

  • Any immunizations that you may need.

    Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:04 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

  • I wanted to add to what the others were saying about the plug converters. If you have small appliances such as a hair dryer or flat iron, you would need a converter. I bought mine at Target several years ago and it came with a pack for several different countries. However, if you have bigger appliances, I don't know, let's say a dvd player. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT use the plug converter. You will need a transformer for that. Learn from my mistake and don't cause your dvd player to explode into smoke!


    Answer by JeremysMom at 6:50 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

  • Passports and how are you handling medical coverage? Call your plan to see if they cover you out of the country and if not, get a plan. Converters as these ladies have said, copies of passports and any other key info, get an international phone plan or use the phone cards abroad, call the bank and find out where in the international city you can pull out money from the ATM. Some will charge huge fees if you don't find the right bank. Call the credit card company and let them know where you'll be and the dates you'll be abroad. Does your card have the chip in it? Get the info about the banking, it's important.

    Answer by jeanclaudia at 8:18 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.