Kindergarten is wasting my child's time but they can't do anything?

My child is a pretty smart kid. I figured she was on track for kids her age maybe a little ahead but not by much. She reads very well, writes and does simple addition and subtraction 1 and 2 digit w/o carrying and place value stuff... starting to read a clock and write stories... that sort of stuff. She was in pre-k last year like 85% of the state. Granted we also taught her stuff at home. She has been in kinder for 3 weeks and is bored to tears as they are going over letter sounds, number order and colors/shapes. I tried to talk to the teacher and she blew me off saying that DD was learning classroom rules and how to make friends for the first half of the year and that is all they would be focusing on until after the holidays. My daughter is plenty social and learned classroom rules in Pre-K! I asked if they could pull her in more challenging work or if we could test her social/emotional and academic scoring for her to move forward and they told me no she has to complete kinder. They won't let her skip a grade completely or by subject until first grade. Plus the gifted programs don't start until 2nd grade.

This seems stupid to me. Why do they make a kid who is obviously ahead of the class stay behind. I thought all these crazy No child left behind acts were supposed to help kids get an appropriate education. Does this seem right to you? That they are refusing to allow her to work at her level in math and reading? Granted she needs to work on her handwriting skills and there are, I am sure, other things she could pick up in kinder I just hate she is not being challenged at all and the school is okay with it. Why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Sep. 5, 2013 in General Parenting

• Oh, God, you are one of those parents. Just because your child is ahead or smart, doesn't mean that they are gifted. Smart and gifted are two different things. Only a few states actually require kindergarten. If you feel that they are not meeting your child's needs look into private school, home school, or supplement with enrichments at home. Finally, it is only the third week of school. It does take time for the class to get in routine and for the teacher to evaluate where everyone is. Give it time.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:16 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• Wel, think of it like this. Your stellar child is going to have to learn to navigate a world teeming with average kids like mine. This kindergarten experience is just her first lesson in how to interact with those who aren't quite as near to perfect as she is.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:33 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• Did you talk to the school or the teacher? DS' teacher taught him individually to give him more challenging work. 1st grade wasn't as accommodating, but it is the year they build the casefiles to get into the G&T program, and his first grade teacher had his file compiled within the first quarter. Without this evaluation time, the only thing saying your daughter should be in the program is your word. No offense, but EVERY parent thinks their child is gifted. Your word means nothing to them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:08 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• Um, she is receiving her free and appropriate education.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:23 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• " I thought all these crazy No child left behind acts were supposed to help kids get an appropriate education.."OP
    Its not for those things you mentioned.Bush made this law to prioritizes education and attempts to give equal educational opportunities to all students in the US. But there has been a lot of controversy for this act Bush passed back in 2002.

Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 10:08 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• Perfect answer, Ballad!
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:33 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• You need to look for a school with ability grouping. Kids are put in groups based on their ability, which really helps keep kids from being bored. If you can not find a school like this, you may have to home school, to get her the academics she needs to challenge her.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:56 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• Kindergarten isn't even required. In my state kids aren't even required to attend or prove home schooling until the age of 7. And yet most places schools get paid by the state based on student attendance. I bet if you threatened to pull her out and they realize they will be losing state money that they will all of a sudden get very cooperative. Demand a meeting, take your husband, wear suits. Don't take any crap.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 10:06 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• NCLB managed to create a system that has nothing to do with appropriate and everything to do with test scores.

Have you gone over the teacher's head? Have you gone over the PRINCIPAL'S head?

Answer by gdiamante at 10:14 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• "Why do they make a kid who is obviously ahead of the class stay behind."

If the schools had a nickle for everything they had heard this there would NOT be any budget issues...
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:18 PM on Sep. 5, 2013