How can I get rid of fruit flies?

I save aluminum cans. Normally in the summer I put them in the shed so I don't have to deal with the smell or fruit flies. Stupid me decided not to do that this last week and I came home today to a kitchen full of fruit flies.

I have taken the cans outside and cleaned the kitchen top to bottom. I still see a couple flying around my apartment. Is there anything else I can do?

tempsingl3mom

Asked by tempsingl3mom at 10:18 PM on Sep. 5, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Take a small bowl, add a spoonful of sugar, a spoonful of vinegar, and fill it about half way full with warm water (just warm enough to dissolve the sugar when you stir it). After you stir, add a few drops of dish soap. Don't stir it again - you don't want bubbles. Leave that sitting in the room where you see them, and they'll start suiciding in it within a few hours. Also make sure there are no fruit or veg out on the counters or anywhere in the open - even if you normally leave onions or potatoes out, get them into plastic tubs or throw them in the fridge for now.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:21 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• clean EVERYTHING and replace your kitchen sponges. They like to breed in kitchen sponges. ew. I hate those things. We get them in the summer sometimes also.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• Glass of wine with a drop of dish soap in it. Works like a charm!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:23 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• I was going to say vinegar and dish soap and something sugary and rotting that will ferment too.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:24 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• Notpanicking, I will give that a try.

Honestly, mine is the same recipe as PGA's, only it saves the wine for better use ;)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:29 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• a small dish of apple cider vinegar, if they get too bad you can hang some fly paper should clear up in a few days
    MChildressDem

Answer by MChildressDem at 11:07 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• I agree - a small bowl/glass of apple cider vinegar will do the trick!

Answer by missanc at 11:22 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• PGA, IF I had any wine, I would be drinking it. LOL.

Anon, I hate kitchen sponges. Too many things (including ear wigs which I hate even more) breed in them. I don't have any sponges.

Notpanicking, I will give that a try.

Thank you all!
    tempsingl3mom

Comment by tempsingl3mom (original poster) at 10:26 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• I followed NotPanicking's advice about an hour ago and haven't seen a single fruit fly in about 10 minutes. Thank you so much!
    tempsingl3mom

Comment by tempsingl3mom (original poster) at 11:33 PM on Sep. 5, 2013