Is there a natural way to help anxiety?

I am thinking of going to the clinic to get a prescription to help with anxiety and help me sleep better at night. I have been dealing with my mom's Alzheimer's and found out that my brother is very sick. I am an emotional wreck now and I think everything has just caught up with me. Instead of medication, what are some other ways to treat what I am going through?

Kim370

Asked by Kim370 at 10:47 PM on Sep. 5, 2013 in Health

• meditation

you'll learn how to handle stressful situations by focusing on your breathing and calming down
    i have to do this even with! medication.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:02 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• meditation, yoga, bio feedback, massage, self hypnosis, journaling, hot baths.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 10:52 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• In addition to the above when my anxiety is really bad I take Valerian root (great advice given to me by a wonderful lady on here a while back). I have suffered with anxiety issues for as long as I can remember but it got worse when my ex-husband left me. The valerian root really does help and makes me sleepy without being groggy the next day.

Sorry for what you are going through.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 11:31 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• good suggestions from all these gals. I am a Reiki master so I do energy work regularly and it helps me enormously. Otherwise, I agree about meditation or getting out and getting exercise, finding quiet time. Just sitting and breathing.

So sorry about all of this stuff though : (
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:09 AM on Sep. 6, 2013

• I know it sounds trite, but the power of deep breathing can't be overestimated. I deal with anxiety, and I used to manage it with medication, but I've gotten away from taking it regularly because I've learned to notice my breathing and force myself to slow it down, deepen it, and focus on it. I took that away from the birthing classes I had before my daughter came along.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:50 PM on Sep. 5, 2013