I shouldn't have to ... PSA

No.
No one should have to post under their SN if they don't want to.

But.
Since August (semi) regular participants in Answers have learned:
We have an influx of cray cray
We have an influx of one hit posters
We have an influx of drama llamas

It has (sadly) become in everyone's best interest to post under their SN's to avoid confusion.

feralxat

Asked by feralxat at 11:08 PM on Sep. 5, 2013 in About CafeMom

• To be frank, I was overly polite with my answers in that question, and it wouldn't have made one difference if they'd posted under their name. I too, get sick of everyone saying their child is ahead, not because I have some inferiority complex about my child, but because he has tested consistently into it for 5 consecutive years. Gifted children aren't just smart kids. There are other physiological issues that go hand in hand with that level of activity - it's common for them to only sleep 5 or 6 hours a night...from the time they're toddlers. They're more prone to ADHD and OCD. For most of them, they'll have a handful of symptoms that parallel the autism spectrum, and you spend a good 3-4 years paranoid because EVERYONE feels it's their job to point those things out. For some of them, they actually are on the spectrum, so it's not unfounded paranoia.

Gifted is far more than knows how to read and add in kindergarten.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:51 AM on Sep. 6, 2013

• When I see someone talk about how "gifted" their child is, but not one mention is made of how they never sleep, or how they are perfectionists to the point they shut down if they can't do something the first time, or how they're sound sensitive, or how they can't stop obsessing over a certain project to distraction from all others...let's just say I put them in the same group as "am I pregnate"
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:53 AM on Sep. 6, 2013

• Here is the thing with going anon- Words on a computer screen can be taken very different than what is actually means. With that particular poster (no idea who she is), the way what she wrote came off as stuck up, better than everyone else, and her child is more important than anyone else. If she used her screen name and she was a regular (I am going to use Ballad as an example since I know it wasnt' her and she has a daughter in kindergarten). If she had wrote the exact words, word for word, it would not have been taken the way it did BECAUSE we know Ballad and know what she means when she writes something. Point is, when you go anon you risk not being heard for what you really are saying because we can then only interrupt what the words on the screen say.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:27 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• Very well said, JeremysMom, I couldn't agree more.

I did read the question and was going to respond, but then I had to go clean my kitchen, make supper and talk to my SO. Real life just gets in the way sometimes :-)
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 11:42 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

•  photo dramallama.jpg
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:13 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• It's not unusual for gifted kids to NOT have straight A's.

DS was grounded Tuesday and Wednesday for not turning in homework. Was ungrounded all of 2 hrs last night before he confessed that he lied about another one, so now he's grounded through the weekend. I really wish it was as easy as people like to make it sound when they declare their kid who talked early or read early was "gifted".
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:47 AM on Sep. 6, 2013

• I will say that I had a gifted child and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:37 AM on Sep. 6, 2013

• IMO that OP went anon not because is she is her DD is a smarty, but because she knew that her complaints about the lack of challenge so soon in the school year were a bit of an over reaction. She got what she expected, a slap on the wrist from the answerers. Plain and simple.

PS: I would have been listed as gifted if reading and writing in kindergarten was the criteria. My teacher took me and the other girl who could read aside and taught us when the others were doing more basic work. No big deal. My parents watched the me and school like a hawk all through my education and pushed them AND me when I was slacking or bored. It's just part of parenting.

tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:54 AM on Sep. 6, 2013

• I found it and I completely understand her frustrations.
    Hopefully she's looking at this thread because my oldest son was well beyond his peers because he LOVED to learn.
    It's very difficult as a parent who has a child who is above average and you don't have the means to place them in a private school where they can be challenged. But to address the OP of that particular thread, I want to say, she will benefit from her class, you may not see the benefits at first but she'll learn how to be a leader, offer assistance to her peers etc.
    She'll learn pride. All great things to take with her!
    I did a lot of home schooling to make up what I felt my son lacked at school. Hang in there, it does get better!

Thanks feral for letting me derail your thread for a minute. :)
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 11:44 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• I would like to say, in case the anonymous poster is reading this, and I have no idea who she is, that I'm sorry I apparently misinterpreted the way the post was intended. It sounded kind of boastful to me, but as we all know, there's no vocal inflection in words on a computer, no context by which we can measure what is said. I do regret that someone out there somewhere tonight has hurt feelings, partly because of me.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:44 PM on Sep. 5, 2013