Magazines for girls

My DD is 8 and I want to get her a magazine subscription, but don't know what to get her. I don't want something that will encourage her rebellion and bad attitude, but want something that she will enjoy. Any suggestions?

MChildressDem

Asked by MChildressDem at 11:35 PM on Sep. 5, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What are her interests?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:39 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• This looks like a good one for a general magazine for girls- http://www.discoverygirls.com/

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:41 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• She has a variety of interests: fashion, music, art, theater, and politics (perhaps the last two is because we do a lot of this together). Her favorite subjects in school are science and social studies and she loves to read.
    MChildressDem

Comment by MChildressDem (original poster) at 11:43 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:49 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• Discovery!!!
    It's da bomb diggity :)
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:53 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• National Geographic for Kids, Ranger Rick, Jack and Jill, and Highlights. I had the first three as a kid from the National Library of Congress, which recorded them for distribution every month, and I loved them. I just got Highlights for my daughter, so we'll see how that goes, but my stepson really enjoyed his subscription to it as a kid.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:00 AM on Sep. 6, 2013

• My daughter has really enjoyed her subscriptions to the "Ladybug" publications. One of my SIL's has given a gift subscription for years (starting with "Babybug.") She was getting "Spider" for the last couple years and my SIL just switched it over to "Cricket" when she renewed it. "Cricket" in particular is a really nice quality publication.

My other SIL gifted her with a subscription to "Stone Soup." It's very attractive, and it's completely made BY kids FOR kids. The kids write the stories & poems, and do the illustrations.

My daughter is 9 and likes "Stone Soup" a lot.

Both those publications are focused on the content and are free of overt, deliberate marketing. They don't talk "about" self-esteem or insecurities as "issues"; the content is creative & organically "embodies" the various issues covered. It's more experiential than being "talked to" about "issues." Kids can internalize the whole story & form conclusions.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 12:25 AM on Sep. 6, 2013

• My granddaughters love Cricket magazine. I tried to post the link, but could not. Just Google it and you will see age related magazines by the same company
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 9:36 AM on Sep. 6, 2013

• New Moon and Discovery Girls

Answer by missanc at 10:37 AM on Sep. 6, 2013