So about the lice ridden kids down the street....

tonight i was taking out the dog and the two 7 year old twins approached me. they're fraternal and one has dark hair and the other has light hair... well i noticed the dark haired one's hair was obviously dyed. it wasn't as dark on top and two toned. so i asked her gently "why does your hair look lighter?" and she said her mom dyed it to get rid of the lice. she said she did all of them but her twin's hair looked the same to me.

now, ive dealt with lice since may on and off with all 3 of my girls, and have definitely reached the end of my rope more than once with it and felt like shaving them bald a few times and just crying other times lmao but id never even consider putting those chemicals in my child's hair (i dont use lice treatment either). and if i were going to do it, i'd atleast do it right... the child has two toned hair! i know it'll eventually wash out but that's terrible IMO.

so i guess to make this a question... what extremes, if any, would you take if you just couldn't get rid of your child's lice?

(i'd also like to add that if done diligently it's not THAT hard to get rid of, it's harder to keep them AWAY when your child keeps bringing it home from school)

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 11:47 PM on Sep. 5, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• Does hair dye even kill lice? I never heard that before.

BTW, I'm not trying to be snarky or mean, but wow, what a title on your post! I was like, man, she must really hate those neighbor kids.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:54 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• the only thing we do (besides laundry) is oil.
    If we hear of lice we grease the kids.

I don't care if it is scientifically unproven, anecdotally (for us) it works

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:55 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• Haven't had to deal with it yet, but as I have a boy he will be getting a buzz cut if he comes home with it.

Is it true that hair gel helps to keep lice away?? Cuz he loves to have gel in his hair and that would be great(starts school on Monday).
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:05 AM on Sep. 6, 2013

• Wow! I've had my share of dealing with lice but never once did I think dying their hair would get rid of them. I've treated my kids, shaved my boys' heads to just about bald, and sent them to bed with their heads covered in olive oil and a shower cap.

I agree that it isn't that hard, you just have to be diligent about it.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 11:53 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• oh ballad lol nooo! i mean, i do despise one of them but i only put the title that way so everyone would know what i was referring to, since not long ago i posted about them
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 12:00 AM on Sep. 6, 2013

• tntmom- it may because it keeps the hair slick, thus making it difficult for lice to latch onto the hair.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 12:06 AM on Sep. 6, 2013

• What is WRONG with that parent. Clearly, she needs help in a major way. Hair dye doesn't kill lice. Maybe walk over there and print some stuff off the net about how to treat it with other means (Cetaphil, mayo, olive oil, whatever). She needs a metal comb and she needs to do the daily combing and drying of clothing for two weeks. Those poor kids. I don't get this at all. Furthermore, the mom is in danger of getting it too if she doesn't do something that works...Sigh...
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:07 AM on Sep. 6, 2013

• Is it true that hair gel helps to keep lice away??

for us, yes.
    a clean hair shaft is like a ladder
    a dirty one (products) is like a slide
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:15 AM on Sep. 6, 2013

• dying the hair does NOT get rid of them

I tried- on my head... we dealt with lice once and it was hell. We finally had to get a perscription for stuff because the rid and or nix didn't work- mayo didn't work...hair dye didn't work

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:29 AM on Sep. 6, 2013

• I think I've heard that dying hair gets rid of them - heard, as in an old wives tale, not heard, as in it actually works. Sounds like she bought into the wives tale.

Personally, even if I thought it would work, I don't think I'd do that. Bad enough to have to resort to using pesticides at times. I'd be exhausting all natural methods first, and if all else failed and dying seemed to be the only option left, I'd shave their heads - which, since I have boys, one of whom is always wanting to shave his head anyway, would be perfectly fine around here.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:32 AM on Sep. 6, 2013