Still heartbroken...how do I get over it?

My BF and I broke up in May and I am still heartbroken. He broke up with me. I would still run back to him if he asked, but know that he likely won't. I was out with friends the other night and ran into him. We all talked for a few minutes, but I haven't been able to stop thinking about him since. I am still heartbroken, but know that the likelihood of getting back together is pretty much zero. Not to mention that it is not in my best interest to be in a relationship with him. So, how do I get over it?

MChildressDem

Asked by MChildressDem at 11:50 PM on Sep. 5, 2013 in Relationships

• You have to want to get over it.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:52 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• it's been 4 months and you're still this attached?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:53 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• Time...

I know that one little word seems crazy, but seriously, it takes time.
    You and your bf invested time in your relationship and that's what it's going to take to get over him an he becomes a memory.
    Hang in there, it really does get better!

KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 11:55 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• @TNM786, we were living together and shared a lot so yes after 4 months I am still this attached.
    MChildressDem

Comment by MChildressDem (original poster) at 11:57 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• sorry but i find that unhealthy.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:59 PM on Sep. 5, 2013

• Make sure you aren't holding onto your heartache in place of your boyfriend. Many people do that when they lose someone. They're reluctant to let themselves release their grief and sorrow because that's all they have left of the lost loved one. It's like, getting better is losing their last hold on what used to be.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:31 AM on Sep. 6, 2013

• No offense but it looks like you are distracting yourself with one night stands.
    It may momentarily get you through a night but in the end the reason is still there,
    Do not go where this Ex might be, where he lives. Get interested in something (not someone) else, something that will improve yourself. Something like music or dance or art or literature or gardening or anything that holds and interest for you.Go and have some nights out wit girfriends, do some volunteer work Concentrate on you and what isgood for you. Leave the boys out and wait for the time a real man shows up.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:34 AM on Sep. 6, 2013

• KT is right, it just takes time. The rule of thumb is that it takes half the length of the relationship to get over it. Just keep really busy with positive activities that make you feel good about yourself. GL
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 12:40 AM on Sep. 6, 2013

• Like others have said. Time, and you have to want to go forward and not look back at what was.

Answer by louise2 at 7:02 AM on Sep. 6, 2013

• You know what they say, time heals all wounds.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:55 AM on Sep. 6, 2013