This comment really confused me. She's not answering so WDYT?

I guess more the location added to the confusion. The Enfamil Facebook page asked what would be the best baby shower gift. Several of us said formula, it is the Enfamil page and generally speaking we all use formula. What confused me were the people who were very insistent that you never give a mom to be formula.

I realize that they might be planning on nursing but you can just ask before you buy it(also it's usually obvious from the registry). I guess if they need a different kind of formula that might be a problem but most babies will take the regular formula.

So other then those two reasons why not buy formula for a baby shower gift or are those the only reason?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 11:48 PM on Sep. 6, 2013 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't for the sheer fact that mothers can be very brand specific. Not to mention that sometimes a baby can be sensitive to different types of formula and their ingredients. If someone wants to formula feed their baby, that's their business. As long as their child is fed, then it shouldn't be up for debate.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:00 AM on Sep. 7, 2013

• I generally give Similac because it's what WIC gives here. Best indications are to ask if they have allergies in the family or if they were fed special formula, biggest risk factor for allergies is family history.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 12:06 AM on Sep. 7, 2013

• I thought you were a breastfeeding advocate?

For one formula is expensive! Buy the wrong kind and it is a waste of money. Two breastfeeding moms do not need formula.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:16 AM on Sep. 7, 2013

• I don't remember calling myself a breastfeeding advocate. I'm more extremely pro-choice when it comes to birth and baby care. If you want to breastfeed I'll support you to the end, if you want to formula feed I'll also support and have a wealth of information on special formulas, prep on the go,etc....

Regular blue can Similac is like $20 for the extra large can and I have friends that give me their sample cans because they can't use them so I usually have at least one to give. I tend to give a note saying if it's the wrong kind to call me or you can give a gift receipt so they can return it just like clothes that don't fit.
    Number one rule for giving a good gift to anybody is talking to them and knowing a few little details. I never assume how someone is going to feed their baby because it's not a simple question. If I talk to them and know that they are breastfeeding rather then formula or combo I don't give formula.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 1:02 AM on Sep. 7, 2013

• Some of the ladies who I've given it too while they do breastfeed they like the flexibility of being able to have dad or grandma give the baby an occasional bottle because it takes some pressure off of them especially if they have other kids.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 1:04 AM on Sep. 7, 2013

• I've never in my adult life considered giving formula as a gift. To me, it's kind of like giving a kid socks snd underwear for Christmas... suckiest gift ever.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 2:11 AM on Sep. 7, 2013

• For one formula is expensive! Buy the wrong kind and it is a waste of money. Two breastfeeding moms do not need formula.

^^^^ Yup... this. That would suck unless you specifically asked for it!! A gift card to a store that sells formula would be a better gift!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:21 AM on Sep. 7, 2013

• She might want a different brand, the baby might need a specific formula, she might be breastfeeding, and quite frankly, formula just isn't a gift you want to get. And honestly, when I was pregnant, if someone had been asking me all kinds of questions about my family history or allergies (whether trying to figure out my formula needs or not), I'd be really annoyed. Those are some seriously personal questions.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:14 AM on Sep. 7, 2013

• Because there too many brands out there. I agree a gift card to buy it is far better. I also agree with wendy. It's not anyone's business how I intend to feed my child. If it is specifically on the registry you will know. Otherwise things you know baby will use make much better gifts. Diapers, clothing, wipes, etc etc.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:36 AM on Sep. 7, 2013

• I would be annoyed if someone had gotten me formula for a baby shower gift. Unless it is specifically asked for there are so many other things parents need more than formula.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:25 AM on Sep. 7, 2013