Do I need rehab?

I've been taking 500mg hydrocodone for over 10 years now. Got hooked on it when my father in law gave them to me and my DH at the age of 18. We are both still taking them and really want to quit. I take 3-4 a day and DH takes about 6. We swallow them. Never snorted, smoked them etc. When we run out, we get a hold of methadone from friends. I'll take 1 methadone and be fine for the day. I don't know where to go from here. I've tried detoxing at home, but its a pain in the ass when you're a stay at home mom. I want to tell my Dr. so I can try suboxone, but I'm afraid my kids will get taken away. My husband wants help too but, he's afraid his job will find out if we go through insurance. Or should we try a Methadone clinic? Is there anyone that's been in our shoes? Please help!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Sep. 7, 2013 in Health

• Call 211 and see what resources you can get. Call from a phone outside your home and don't use your name.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:44 AM on Sep. 7, 2013

• Yes you need help but I don't know if they will give you methadone or Suboxone for a hydrocodone withdrawl. It isn't an extremely potent narcotic. yes the withdrawls can be a b***. I went through them when getting off Morphine(prescribed by my doctor). If you can't wean yourself off you need to see someone.

If you are interested in weaning yourself off then do so gradually. So if you take 4 a day start off by taking just three a day for a week, then down to 3, then two, then one then try taking one every other day and spread it out even more until finally you are no longer taking them.

You need counseling to deal with the psychological effects of addiction.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:55 AM on Sep. 7, 2013

• I've tried weaning myself. I've gone cold turkey too and wanted to literally shoot myself in the head because the withdrawls are so bad! If I can't get suboxone or methadone, then what?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:03 AM on Sep. 7, 2013

• Never ever stop cold turkey.
    You need a Dr involved to help wean you off.

My question is, why wean yourself off of one drug to get addicted to another?
    Suboxone and methadone is highly addictive. Withdrawal are awful!

Also, all your medical information is private. Bound by HIPPA.....Health Insurance , Portability Account.
    Your husbands fear of his job finding out is unwarranted.
    It may be that he's not ready to give up his Hydrocodone use.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 1:33 AM on Sep. 7, 2013

• I know you aren't suppose to quit cold turkey. Its not prescribed, so when I run out, it takes a couple days to find more. I want to tell my Dr. but is she allowed to get cps involved? This is the main reason why I haven't tried to get help. I don't want my kids taken away
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:32 AM on Sep. 7, 2013

• my good friend left her husband 2 years ago in hopes that he would put his family first and stop using prescription drugs. She had a lot of faith in him. He was a good father who loved his kids and he took care of her. Even while they were separated he saw them frequently and helped her financially with out a court order so she could continue to be a SAHM.

This past summer she got a call that he had over dosed on hydrocodone gone into a coma and died. Leaving her to care for her 4 children fatherless and leaving her feeling broken. All because he was to selfish to get help. She tried and tried to get him into rehab but because he did not consider the prescription drugs as 'real drugs' he refused to go.

Just because they are prescription drugs and 'people take them all the time' doesn't make them safe.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:35 AM on Sep. 7, 2013

• Do you have a family member you can hand you children over to SHORT TERM while you do an inpatient rehab program?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:38 AM on Sep. 7, 2013

• Yes, you both need rehab...and those doctors who prescribe it, need to be reprimanded too...

Answer by older at 11:26 AM on Sep. 7, 2013

• But_Mommie, you didn't answer my question. That's sad what happened to your friend, but we are not in denial......WE WANT HELP. I NEVER said they were safe......My DH can't do inpatient because he has a job. And I have no one to care for my children. Just in case anyone was wondering, I quit cold turkey with both pregnancies, but like a dumb ass, started up again after I came home from the hospital with my last. We made a promise to ourselves, that we would not have any more kids until we got help. Yes we are addicted but, 3-4 isn't bad enough to enter inpatient is it? I want to try outpatient, but my other question hasn't been answered yet.... Can my Dr. have my kids taken away?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:26 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• I'm not sure how helpful this will be to you but there is an amino acid you can get from the health food store like GNC called l-theanine. I actually discovered it while looking for natural remedies for anxiety specifically for someone addicted to marijuana I believe I recall reading that it is used for people with drawing from methadone google it
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 12:58 AM on Sep. 8, 2013