What is a good dog breeds meet this criteria?

We want a dog who
1. Doesn't shed a lot
2. Is a good family dog
3. Is a good protector dog (like not friendly to intruders)
4. Isn't slobbery
5. Is a medium or large size dog

Thanks ahead of time for your suggestions!

MicahsMom612

Asked by MicahsMom612 at 1:31 AM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Pets

• I would have to say an English Mastiff or Australian Shepard. I have both and they are great dogs. The Mastiff's size alone is intimidating, but they aren't aggressive dogs. My Aussie's (I have 2, one is a miniature) are great dogs, they do have a lot of energy though and need to run. There are some great websites that you can go to that you can enter the criteria you are looking for and they will narrow it down to breeds that fit. That is how we got our Mastiff. GL!!
    tscritch

Answer by tscritch at 10:39 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Oh dear, sorry it's late! I see I butchered the question.
    What dog breeds meet this criteria?
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 1:32 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• well, my rat terrier meets ALL those requirements but she is not very big. More pomeranian size. She has lots of energy and is very loving with all of us. They come in different sizes. Look up the breed online. really good dogs.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 1:34 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• we have a bassset hound he is the best dog i swear he lets my kids lay on him he is very good listens very well and i always know when someone is near my gate or door even if he knows the person he lets me know, his bark is louder and deeper if its a stranger. If someone he doesnt know comes near my house he wont stop barking till i tell him they are okay, he doesnt attack because we dont teach our animals to do that (my daughter was attacked by a dog so i am very much against training animals to do that)

Being tottally honest i understand why people want animals to protect their home but dont go getting an animal and raise it to be unfriendly to strangers, you can end up with lawsuits that way and your meter man will not exactly like you very much.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:37 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I'm sure I'll catch ALOT of heat for this answer, but whatev...pitbull sounds exactly what you're looking for. Thy have alot of bad press, but every pit I've ever owned,(5 to be exact), has been the BEST most loveable and protective obediant dogs I've ever had. I had ONE issue with ONE dog.....she's was anti-social with other dogs and couldn't be around them. She had to be the number one and only bitc*. ;o) But they were gret around my God Son Aiden and loved him dearly...still do. He's 2 now almost 3. The dogs have been with him his whole life as we all live together. Love, love, LOVE pits...and they need to be rescued sooo badly from the pound. ;( Just make sure you either get a pup, or a dog that hasn't been used to fight or abused. VERY easy to tell. Good luck!
    mamakat21

Answer by mamakat21 at 1:39 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I think terriers are the best kid dog. The Jack Russel or Rat Terrier are great.I've raised them with my kids. I've also raised female Rotweillers with my children, they are very protective and contrary to the beliefs not the first to bite.I would never be without one. I have my third now. But you have to spend alot of time with them, they are people dogs and always on your heals(following you around). If you dont have alot of time to spend with the dog to train and raise it with your kids it would'nt be good for you. I dont know if you can get all the exact things you want in one dog. Kids just love terrier's though, they can run and play and keep up with the busiest kid. They are very smart and fast, and learn very fast. They are extremely good at tricks. The wired hair ones don't shed. They are so friendly and fun though, so they wouldnt be a guard dog.
    DAWN-10

Answer by DAWN-10 at 1:58 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I agree with the post on Pits. We have had 2 and they are the best dogs ever, very loyal and ours were the easiest to train. Make sure you read up on whatever breed(s) of dog you decide to get. Also, the other post noted about getting one from a shelter, that I think goes with any breed of dog. The pits were always my hubby's. I on the other hand love malamutes and well they only meet the size and good with the family criteria. lol
    taylorsmommy00

Answer by taylorsmommy00 at 6:26 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I would recommend a chocolate or black lab, maybe a boxer. We adopted a lab mix from our shelter, and he's been wonderful with the kids. He's playful, energetic, protective, and gentle. No shedding. And he weighs about 65 pounds at around 1 year old.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 7:11 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Labs shed a lot. I can't stand terriers. I had one growing up and I loved him, but he was a pain in the butt! They are so tenacious. They're excellent family dogs, small-medium sized, very protective yet friendly, and I don't think they shed a lot but all dogs shed a little (even people shed, you can't get away from it!).
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:26 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I have to agree on the APBT. They are incredible dogs, loyal, intelligent, low shedding, perfect size (not too big or small), not slobbery... There are SO many in rescues right now, you could find an absolutely wonderful pit for your family that would be forever grateful.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:05 AM on Feb. 19, 2009