How to get teens to quit smoking?

My 15 year old daughter has been sneaking cigarettes for the past year and I've tried everything to get her to quit but she hasn't. I started young and still smoke but it's a habit that I don't want her to have. Does anyone have any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:56 AM on Sep. 7, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• You have to quit first to cut off her supply. She is 15 and not buying them herself....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:22 AM on Sep. 7, 2013

• yeah- if YOU are smoking, it's gonna be really hard for you to get her to quit
    1) she sees that you do it and therefore, it must be okay ...
    2) she can steal them from you
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:21 AM on Sep. 7, 2013

• I smoke so I know what a terrible and addicting habit it is. She will only quit when she wants to not when someone else wants her to. I think you just have to pick your battles and since you smoke I'm not sure how you can tell her not to.
    GarysWife1991

Answer by GarysWife1991 at 9:43 AM on Sep. 7, 2013

• Kind of hard to tell her not to smoke. When you smoke! Kids learn from example sometimes. The only thing you can do is keep track of your cigarettes. 

Answer by louise2 at 10:26 AM on Sep. 7, 2013

• Don't let them start. Since you have the habit too, you can't expect her to quit. She's used to the smell and years of second hand inhalation. You got her addicted. Unless you both quit together, I don't see it happening.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 11:06 AM on Sep. 7, 2013

• Could you try and quit together? Kicking the habit is often easier if you do it with support, and if your daughter sees that you are willing to make the effort, she might do it as well.

I've never smoked, but I have asthma. I've wished all this week that someone would invent a simulator that would let young people know what it feels like to b constantly out of breath, and feeling like you just ran up five flights of stairs wen all you did was get up and pour yourself a cup of coffee.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:05 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• Yep- I think quitting together would be good for both of you. Not just for your health, but it could be a bonding experience. Then you will be able to tell if she's cheating, b/c you will be able to smell it on her more easily. This is a rough age & close to when I picked up the nasty habit. My dad quit when I was about 5 or 6 y/o, so having 2 non-smoking parents didn't seem to make a difference to me. Best of luck to both of you.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:19 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• When is she unsupervised so she can smoke? Ok, in the bathrooms at school under risk of getting caught but I would be driving my child to and from school and would be everywhere else she is for the next several months. Of course I don't smoke so she wouldn't constantly be smelling it either.

Answer by missanc at 3:21 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• I smoked as a young teen because my mom did. The more she tried to stop me the more I did it. And eventually I quit and haven't smoked in years.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 10:57 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• The point made above ("She will only quit when she wants to not when someone else wants her to") is an important one. My thought: Let go of what you can't control, and take constructive action where your own responsibility is concerned.
    Instead of saying you can't do anything (since you smoke & since quitting is her decision to make, not something you can force), recognize that those 2 things are true but that you can speak to her from your heart. Speak personally--not about what is "right" or "true," "important," etc. But about what YOU think, believe, fear, and wish. What YOU value as important & what you want.
    She may not respond "well." That's not the point.
    If you honor her autonomy, both verbally AND in how you proceed (even when she ignores you or doesn't respond the "right" way), you will be doing something VERY constructive. You'll be giving personal feedback AND returning her self-responsibility to her. That's huge!!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:13 PM on Sep. 7, 2013