Would you be pissed off???

My dear dd is in forth grade now, in her first grade she had EXTREMELY bad teacher, her second year teacher was fun, but he was laid back one, her third year teacher had last year at the school and although kids have fun with her, she did not do much in class.

This year, I thought she will have a good, academically oriented teacher. Yet, yesterday we found out she is having a baby and leaving in the middle of the year. Moreover, since "kids are so stressed out these days, I suggested laid back and more relaxed approach", that what she said to parents at the meeting...I am SOOO pissed off...would you be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Sep. 7, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• another mom who is pissed that their kid isn't gonna learn the way they think is right?

This happens, teachers get sick, or have babies or whatever and leave partway through the year... what is wrong with a mroe relaxed approach exactly?

if you don't like it, homeschool her yourself- YOUR way
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:11 AM on Sep. 7, 2013

• I am sure your snowflake will learn how to form a coherent sentence, no matter how you feel about her instructor's teaching style.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:17 AM on Sep. 7, 2013

• Home school, private school. Your kid is learning right?

Answer by louise2 at 10:18 AM on Sep. 7, 2013

• Life happens. My DD's kinder teacher (which we loved) fell sick in the middle of the year and was in the hospital for over a month, and in an induced coma for at least a week of that time. We didn't know if she was going to live. We moved before she was able to make it back to school, but were thrilled that she survived and went back to teaching. Women get pregnant and have babies. Sometimes teachers have medical / family emergencies that require they be out of school for a while. You just step in and supplement your child's learning when you feel they aren't getting enough. Your child's future success matters more to you than anyone else, so you should be making the biggest investment in her education.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:19 AM on Sep. 7, 2013

• To clarify, no. I wouldn't be pissed. I might be concerned about what my child will end up learning from them, but that's when I would also be exploring materials to supplement my child's education.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:23 AM on Sep. 7, 2013

• Your 'forth' grader is pregnant?!
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 10:23 AM on Sep. 7, 2013

• It wouldn't bother me in the least what the teacher's "style" is providing they are competent and that my child learns what she is supposed to in that particular grade. It is also entiremy possible to be a good, academically oriented teacher with a laid back style.

I really wouldn't be getting into a flap until the replacement teacher was proved to be incompetent. You are jumping the gun when you have no idea who it will be nor what s/he will be like.

goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 10:34 AM on Sep. 7, 2013

• Looking back on it all (as my kids are grown now) I realize that part of being a well rounded student is learning how to deal with changes in instruction or different teaching styles. Kids are going to have awesome teachers and they're going to have teachers who aren't so great. Most of the time they're going to have teachers that are somewhere in between.

It's not going to do any good to get yourself all tied up in knots about it.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:41 AM on Sep. 7, 2013

• If you don't believe she is getting the instruction she needs in school, then supplement at home. All teachers are different. A laid back style doesn't mean she isn't going to teach your kid anything.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:18 AM on Sep. 7, 2013

• Are you saying that having a baby and taking time off somehow makes her teaching degree invalid?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:27 PM on Sep. 7, 2013