Who should leave the family bed

when baby has an hour long crying jag at 2 am?

SO goes to work at 8.30.
I am a SAHM.

There isn't another bed, just the couch. In the living room. Where baby has all of his toys...

feralxat

Asked by feralxat at 10:25 AM on Sep. 7, 2013 in Just for Fun

• Since baby #5 came, I've pretty much slept only on the couch with her. She won't sleep in her own bed (she wakes up when I go to put her in, and CIO does NOT work AT ALL with her...she screams SCREAMS the entire time...like if I know she's tired, but she's cranky/won't eat/just screaming, I've put her in her bed so I could get a time out...10 mins later she's still screaming her ever lovin' head off).

Last time I tried to sleep with the log saw-er, well, he was snoring so loud, and it felt like the fiery pits of hell in our room, I finally said "f it" and went back to the couch :/
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 3:00 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• You are trying to tell me, you have no bed/crib or extra bed? why not?
    If this happens on a night your DH has to go to work in the morning. You and the baby leave go in the living room.
    You are a SAHM. You have all day to rest. If it is one of your DH's days off. He leaves the bed.

Answer by louise2 at 10:38 AM on Sep. 7, 2013

• if it wasn't an every single night thing id say your SO can leave the bed and go get better sleep on the couch rather then listen to you and screaming baby in the bedroom? my daughters been fussing a lot at night lately but my DH is away so its not affecting anyone but me lol but even before he left.. if the baby woke up to eat or anything id get up and get her and bring her into our room and feed her and then put her back to bed. some nights he would even grab her for me and bring her in to me.. and he had work at 4am some of those times..
    nnh_mama

Answer by nnh_mama at 10:40 AM on Sep. 7, 2013

• You and the baby leave and let hubby sleep...

there is a rocking chair or you can clear off the couch or something right?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:54 AM on Sep. 7, 2013

• I always went to another room with the baby. My husband has to be clear headed to work. As a sahm, nobody is going to fire me if I don't do a top notch job and I don't have to drive to/from work. Not that can sleep all day but I can pop in a movie for my older kids while baby naps so I can rest for a little.

Answer by missanc at 3:06 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• Does this happen frequently or just an every once in a while thing?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:36 AM on Sep. 7, 2013

• im a sahm too, but my husband also knows that I need to be up early and with kids all day.. and I do just about all the house cleaning and shopping and cooking. he knows that even though his work day is done, being a parent never is.. so he has always been very hands on and helpful with night time things.. granted I know I do far more because im the one with the boobs but he has always helped when he can. (making bottles or a diaper change) when we only had our son it was easier for me to do most because I could nap during the day when the baby did but now with three.. there are no naps for this mama.
    nnh_mama

Answer by nnh_mama at 10:47 AM on Sep. 7, 2013

• I would put dad on the couch. He needs his sleep and you need space. Two can share a bed more easily than a couch. If dad was still asleep though I would take the baby to the couch. It just depends.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:48 AM on Sep. 7, 2013

• You have all day to rest....yeah right. Because nothing ever needs to get done during the day and babies always sleep or entertain themselves. Oh and of course babysitters are free. Just remember it won't last forever.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:52 AM on Sep. 7, 2013

• I was lucky. My husband would always put himself out so I could tend to the baby. I feel bad when they announce they are awake now. I usually let him catch up on sleep during the weekends. It's one of those sacrifices you make when you are a parent to a young child.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:55 AM on Sep. 7, 2013