Horse back riding....how old?

I use to ride horses every summer when I was a kid and loved being on the horse. I haven't done it in years. My dd is 4 and wants do horse bike riding. She has been on a pony so that is where we will start. I was wondering how old were your children when they went horseback riding or took lessons? She was 3 for the pony ride.

I think we will start with a pony ride but if she enjoys it I am willing to pay for a private lesson and then we can see how it goes from there. Just wanted to see how everyone else experience has been.

libramoon007

Asked by libramoon007 at 11:10 AM on Sep. 7, 2013 in General Parenting

• D has been riding horses since he was 4. His dad's gf owns some and they ride almost every weekend. He LOVES it!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:13 AM on Sep. 7, 2013

• Call the place where you will be taking her for lessons. Some have a minimum age that they (or their insurance) will allow. Also, check on groupon, living social, etc for some great introductory lessons for nearly no or little cost. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:47 AM on Sep. 7, 2013

• Call the place. They will tell you.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:24 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• I called and email but no response yet.
    libramoon007

Comment by libramoon007 (original poster) at 12:33 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• If you just want to take your daughter for a trail ride and go with her, she's probably old enough. I've never checked into private lessons.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:06 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• My kids started riding with someone walking the pony/horse around 3. My oldest started lessons when he was 5.

Answer by missanc at 2:34 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• my son just turned 4 and he'll ride with me walking the horse but not for long, my dd started riding with me walking the horse when she was 3, started riding alone at 4 and now at 7, she can ride and control her own horse by herself.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:54 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• I haven't called the second place but have not heard from either one yet.
    libramoon007

Comment by libramoon007 (original poster) at 4:04 PM on Sep. 7, 2013