Identifying melanoma skin cancer

From what I have read it is moles/marks that are asymmetrical and black.

I have moles / freckles and cherry angiomas all over. My daughter (thank you) pointed out that I had something on my back.

It is an assymetrical dark mole. It is not black. Darker than the other moles I have and not round. I found two on my lower back.

I have no medical insurance and have been called a hypochondriac recently.

Cause for alarm? Just a mole?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 3:07 PM on Sep. 7, 2013 in Health

• is it painful or itchy? if not, you should be fine.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:11 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• Sorry, but only a trained dermatologist would know for sure. I wouldn't take any chances. Maybe you could at least see a Dr. at your local health dept. or clinic. My dad has had some areas of skin cancer removed. Don't let it go. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:14 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• It's not painful or itchy, it's just not round like the others. Shape is what concerns me.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 3:18 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• Best to get it checked out. Google your county or state health departments and find out where you can go to have it looked at.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 3:22 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• It MAY be nothing, it MAY be something. A dermatologist will know for sure. I have lots of moles and cherry angiomas and get checked annually because of it, at the doctor's direction. I had one blue nevus removed a few years ago because it was changing.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:22 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• well, as a former medical assistant for a dermatologist, I know nothing :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:23 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/ss/slideshow-common-adult-skin-problems

This is a GUIDE only!  They even suggest that anyone with moles should have them checked regularly by their Dr.  You have 2 little ones who need their mama.  Please find a way to get checked out. 

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:24 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• Free medical here is very far and in between and only for emergency situations. Things like a dermatologist visit would not be covered anywhere. I would have to get a job with medical coverage or marry and pay 200 a month out of our income to be covered, plus costs of dr visits. I don't qualify for state insurance. I will keep checking options.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 3:32 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• I had one on my shoulder (melanoma) & it grew quickly & itched. Turned black too. I also had carcinoma.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:38 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• Staci, I think it will be worth it to find work. Even if you don't get medical coverage you might be able to pay out of pocket for a consult. Much as we all want to be home for our kids, they won't appreciate losing out on having mom with them later in life as the price of having had mom home earlier in life. That's a worst case scenario if it *is* melanoma, but plan for the worst and hope for the best, you know?

Will your state have an insurance exchange available soon? That might be another option.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:53 PM on Sep. 7, 2013