Need some work advice. (long)

Back story- My supervisor and I are currently looking for 5 people to fill a year long job commitment through a grant. We have had several resumes but only 5 people who have showed up for their interview. There are 5 sites where we will be placing them at and each site has the same job but each is different in its own way.

Here is my dilemma- I am confident in four of the people. There is one that I am just not sure about. She had come in earlier this week wanting to talk to my supervisor. She had no appointment or anything and waited around 2 hours until she came in. A little weird in my opinion. Anyways, she came back on Friday for the interview. She wanted a particular site (for some reason a lot of people are wanting this particular site). After the interview my supervisor and I talked and we thought she would be a good candidate for another site because we don't think she has enough initiative for the site she wants. You have to be a great self starter for that one but the one we want to place her at, she will receive a lot of support. I sent her an email that we would like for her to interview at this other site. She emailed me back today asking if the other site is out of the question. 

I am now having doubts about this particular candidate. I feel like she is very pushy and I have a feeling that she will only do this until she finds something bigger and better that comes along. Because this is a grant it looks very bad on us if people quit before their completion date. 

Anyways, I am asking here because my supervisor is very new to her job and I am having to train her on this particular aspect of her job. Should I tell my boss that we need to keep looking for someone else? Or should we give this person a chance? We have to have everyone hired and paperwork done in about 2 weeks.

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 3:26 PM on Sep. 7, 2013 in Money & Work

• I should also add that we found out at the second interview that this particular candidate is a sister of someone we had just hired. We don't want their to be negative feelings for us not hiring her sister. 

JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 3:28 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• She sounds a bit pushy to me. Hiring family, regardless of the site they work, is really touchy.
    You need to hire according to your needs, not the relationship one may have with another.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 3:34 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• You were more than fair trying to match her up to a site that would be a fit and where she would get a lot of support. Interview others and don't worry about the sister. This person had her chance.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 3:38 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• Do NOT hire this person. Too many demands. She talked herself OUT of the job.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:39 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• I wouldn't hire her. We had a similar experience hiring an administrative assistant several months back. She had a lot of the same behaviors.....showing up unannounced prior to the position being officially filled, very pushy and headstrong. They ended up offering her the job and she was a nightmare to work with. Even though she had no healthcare experience she was big on telling people they were doing things wrong (even to people who had been there for years!)

Anyway, I left that job but I heard she was recently let go.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:03 PM on Sep. 7, 2013