Is 1/2 sugar kool aid rehydrating? dehydrated and pregnant, but water doesn't stay down.

I use 1/2 the sugar when making it but all of the water, if not a little extra. I've been dehydrated but the plain water increases my vomitting and in turn makes the dehydration worse. I just like kool aid for the flavors it comes in that i can't get from adding fruit or whatever like everybody suggests. is it hydrating? i think so because it's mostly water, but i'm not 100% and don't see my doctor for another couple weeks.

ElsaH

Asked by ElsaH at 3:31 PM on Sep. 7, 2013 in Pregnancy

• With all the dyes and sugar, no, it's not hydrating. Have you tried naturally flavored sparkling water?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:35 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• I drank (craved) cranapple juice & ice water ( 3/4 glass water & 1/4 glass cranapple with ice) with my first pregnancy & I drank glasses of that all day. With my second pregnancy & drank TONS of lemonade (I used a powder mix). Both pregnancies & babies were perfect. Sounds like what you are drinking is fine.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:44 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• Any drink with a lot of water in it is hydrating, but you want to avoid the sugars and dyes.  Switch to water as soon as your stomach can handle it.

http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/water.html

silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 3:45 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• How about something with electrolytes in it. Or possibly something like Poweraid? Are you at least keeping your vitamins down?
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:48 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• I used smart water and kool aid, so it is electrolyte water to begin with.
    ElsaH

Comment by ElsaH (original poster) at 3:51 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• I wasn't keeping the pills down, so they switched me to prenatal gummies with a second supplement, and because of the twins extra folic acid. I keep all of those down now.
    ElsaH

Comment by ElsaH (original poster) at 3:52 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• Sense it is mostly water I think it is ok.

Answer by louise2 at 4:02 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• Can you not do a 1/2 juice 1/2 water combo? There would still be a lot if sugar, but at least it would be natural sugar as opposed to refined sugar in kool aid but still have flavor. Just make sure you get 100% juice.

Answer by missanc at 4:08 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• It's probably better than nothing, if you're not keeping water down. But maybe try natural fruit juices or sparkling water.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:29 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• I drank a lot of vitamin water and root beer,7 up
    Amber94

Answer by Amber94 at 5:00 PM on Sep. 7, 2013