Any tips on how to break a dog from walking YOU instead of you walking it?

i know i should google this but thought id get advice from real people instead of reading blogs and what not first.

my puppy is only 5-6 months old and already very strong and pulls me. i have her on a very short leash now and i pull her back everytime she pulls me. i also hold the leash across me and stop walking when she does it, pulling slightly at the leash and telling her no.

she is going to grow to be a big dog (lab/doberman mix) so id like to try and nip this in the bud now before she literally pulls me down the street haha!

is there any way i can do it myself or does this sort of thing require an obedience trainer?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 5:09 PM on Sep. 7, 2013 in Pets

• My son bought one of these for his German Shepard. Now I can walk her versus her walking me!

KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 5:31 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• Wow, that's huge, lol
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 5:32 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• that collar is awesome.
    the chain ones work well too
    i watched Cesar Milan put it up around the ears to stop a dog pulling.
    works wonders

my damn dog (he only weighs 12-15 lbs) will pull me down the stairs (on my ass) if i dont position it correctly
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 5:43 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• Try a gentle leader. It worked great for my shepard/collie mix. We don't need it any more because she's so good, and she was a horrible puller! :)

tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 5:44 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• You could always try one of those leads that helps you control their heads, instead of letting them pull from their shoulders like typical collars do.

(I am NOT a fan of choke collars)

bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:48 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• I wasn't either band, but this is a pinch collar.
    His dog has serious ADHD, very hard to control. So, all the collars and harnesses we've purchased were useless until he bought this one.
    I'm a firm believer in walking our dogs and this works great!
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 5:56 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• I don't care for choke collars either. I had a horrible problem with pulling from my dog and went to a harness set like this:

Then I used Caesar Milan's training manual.  Within a couple of weeks we had no more pulling at all

Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 5:57 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• I have an 85 lb pit and I used the same collar as KT. It worked, she walks great. No pulling or sniffing. She walks to be social. After a few months I went to a regular collar with no problem.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 6:28 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• Teach the "heel" command, which you give when you want your dog to walk at your left side, or come to your left side and wat. Every time your dog pulls or gets out of position, make him sit. It won't take him too long to figure out that if he actually wants to go anywhere, he'll stay where he's supposed to and not pull.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:43 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• I used to help my dad train his dogs before he sold them. We trained them for several things, but a basic was to put them in a harness, and start walking. You walk, jog, etc always varying your pace. If the dog starts to pull, then you jerk them up tight to your left side, and say "Heel!" in a stern voice. Then you make them stay there until they aren't pulling any more. Then start off saying "Go". It doesn't take long to train them if you are consistent.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 7:02 PM on Sep. 7, 2013