Are my white towels ruined?

As a splurge last Christmas, I bought two big white Egyptian cotton monogrammed towels, one for me and one for my boyfriend. They're soft and luxurious, and now stained with grass and mud because the kids dragged them to the pool instead of using the everyday dark ones. The thing is, I didn't know about the stains, and I threw the towels in with a load of whites, using bleach and hot water. The stains are still there. Is there any way I can get them out now, or is it too late because the towels have been washed and dried? I'm really trying to take this in stride, but I'm not doing very well!

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 6:25 PM on Sep. 7, 2013 in Home & Garden

• try rubbing alcohol then detergent full strength on the stains. rewash

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:31 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• Once they've been dried, it's too late.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 6:27 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• Even if the stains aren't completely removed they're still usable I'd think.

I've had some luck lightening stains but never completely removing them after the item has been dried
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:43 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• Out of luck. Next time put the good towels up where the kids can't get to them.

Answer by louise2 at 6:34 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• I would soak them overnight in a heavy solution of Oxyclean. I've gotten some pretty difficult stains out with that stuff!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:39 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• Definitely try soaking them in Oxyclean. It's worth the try.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 7:00 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• I have gotten stains out after washing/drying something by soaking it in Oxiclean in the tub. After you soak it out bleach on the spots and rub it in. It works for me.

Answer by missanc at 6:36 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• How bad are the stains now that you've washed them?
    Are they real noticeable?
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 6:53 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• Um sorry... I am using a new keyboard. If all else fails, you could always dye them a different color...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:01 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• just throwing this out there but if you can't see the stains, why isnt your bf treating the specific areas so that the chances for removing the stains is greater?
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 7:13 PM on Sep. 7, 2013