I need advice on menopause

i have a friend who is over 40 who thinks she might be going through it. her mother died when she was a teen and her older sister won't talk to her about this is or even periods.
heres her questions:
how old did you start?
what were the systems did you have? (i know it's the wrong word, but my computer is being a bonehead right now)

She don't have internet access and doesn't have a computer. she's diabetic and have other medical issues. she has sleep apenea and is on two pills, on to keep her awake and the other to help her sleep, so she's not sure if its just the meds or not.

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 8:51 PM on Sep. 7, 2013 in Health

• Too many variables here. What medications is she on would be my first question. How old is she, exactly. I started perimenopause around 46 and was in full blown menopause by about 48. Symptoms finished around age 51
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:00 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• When I first started, around 46, I actually did not realize it. I thought I was sick and maybe running a fever because I was sweating so much, especially at night. My periods were still normal. Then just overnight, they stopped all together. I have not had a period since. I never got the heavy periods, messed up periods that others say they get. As time went on, I realized I was having night sweats and hot flashes. It was miserable! I tried all the things recommended OTC, but nothing helped and I didn't like sweating which caused me to lose sleep. I finally went to the Dr. I have tried patches, even BCPs.... the ONLY thing that has worked for me is Activella. It's a combination hormone.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:03 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• 54
    I felt like I was running a temperature all the time. Doc did a few tests and guess what I an the one in 500,000 that have basically one long hot flash. For me it was not all that bad and I could just walk outside and clear the snow off the sidewalks LOL.
    I had more or less stopped having my normal periods.

I have no idea if it is true or not but he told me the earlier you start your period, the later in life your menopause will start. That is of course unless you have a hysterectomy or something similar.

If she doesn't have a computer and wants access to one she can go to the library. They have free access.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:16 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• I am 46 & no sign yet. My Sister started at around 52. Then her periods became wacky. They would last forever then nothing then come back for ever then it stopped. She is now 54 & has no period.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:23 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• I was in my early 40's. Started off with what I call, flushes.
    My neck would turn red and it would radiate up to my face. I felt like I was on fire.
    Then I started experiencing full hot flashes, especially at night. There were many nights, in the winter where I would go outside in just a t-shirt to cool off!
    I bought several personal fans, every room had one as well as work, lol
    Menopause for me lasted 10 years!
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 9:25 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• She has to stop having her period for 2 years before she is considered menopausal.

Before I stoped having my period.  My period started going crazy.  I would either have to many periods as on every 2 weeks or none at all for months. I was having heavy periods.

Answer by louise2 at 10:10 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• I read menopause last as long as puberty.  I didn't get all the night seat and hot flashes tell I stoped having my period.   No one ever told me about the cold flashes.   And the mood swings are terrible.

Answer by louise2 at 10:14 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• I'm apparently in the midst of it. Night sweats, heavy periods and they've started becoming irregular.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:37 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• by2013

Answer by by2013 at 10:42 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

• Given her issues and the possible complications with conflicting medications, your friend really should get an appointment with her doctor.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:59 PM on Sep. 7, 2013