• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Bi-polar teen girl who just doesn't get it

My daughter is 16 and on mood stabilizers for being bi-polar. She goes to a special 2 hour a day school because she hates regular school and she doesn't understand things that make common sense and it frustrates my husband and I. For example, she rode the bus to school and passed the school so she got off that bus, onto another one and went passed her school again over and over. I worry about her graduating and getting a job. She is not considered mentally retarded but something is wrong and we are stumped. Thanks. Oh, she is also ADD.


Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 PM on Sep. 7, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

This question is closed.
Answers (12)
  • Take her to see a doctor, don't just deal with the school only. Get a second opinion and maybe the mood stabilizers are causing her to get confused? I would try to be patient and look more into what could be going on with her. Not to mention if she is bi-polar and dealing with teen issues as well may be a little to much for her.

    Answer by geminisummerz at 12:41 AM on Sep. 8, 2013

  • Is she receiving services that will help her with travel and independent living skills? You know, special education? An IEP? Even if she isn't in public school, she should be monitored for meeting certain goals.

    Answer by Ballad at 11:17 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

  • They will not check her for an IEP.

    why did they say no?

    Answer by feralxat at 11:22 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

  • Go over the heads of whoever told you no. Keep going over heads. School board, county board of education, state department of education. MAKE NOISE.

    She needs more than just mood stabilizers and they're not giving her what she needs. That's a violation of federal law. Make noise.

    I'd think about getting a court appointed advocate and an attorney to help you through the system.

    Answer by gdiamante at 11:34 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

  • Tell "them" you aren't accepting that answer and start calling the principal, superintendent, etc. Get her doctor and psychiatrist to write letters. You are her only advocate so get loud!!!!!!

    Answer by Nimue930 at 12:07 AM on Sep. 8, 2013

  • Have you taken her to an endocrinologist or a neurologist?

    Answer by Dardenella at 12:41 AM on Sep. 8, 2013

  • I really do not like hearing "mentally retarded"


    Answer by KTElite at 12:59 AM on Sep. 8, 2013

  • this makes no sense

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

  • She blew up the microwave because she didn't put water in the top ramen. She doesn't get it.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:12 PM on Sep. 7, 2013

  • How do I get these services? They will not check her for an IEP.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:19 PM on Sep. 7, 2013