504 plan?

My son is in our district's Highly Capable (HiCap), or gifted program. He started in 2nd grade and had the same teacher for 2nd and 3rd grade. She was a gem, and SO helpful during the process we went through getting him diagnosed with Asperger's Autism Spectrum Disorder and ADHD.

During this time, his teacher and I set up some stuff for him in the classroom to help him cope and deal with over stimulation. Now that he's in 4th grade, he has a new teacher. It looks like she's going to be a gem too, but she's new to the school, and to him.

Thursday night I struggled to remember all the things that have been put in place for my son to help him, as I was writing an email to his new teacher about him, which got me thinking. Friday he had a doctor's appointment and I got talking to his principal about maybe needing to set up something for him that would follow him from grade to grade, instead of me trying to remember it all.

The principal mentioned a 504 plan. She was going to talk with his new teacher, the school counselor, and then get back with me about it.

What exactly would a 504 plan entail?

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 12:17 AM on Sep. 8, 2013 in Special Needs

• I see what you are doing right there
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Sep. 8, 2013

• And that would be.......?
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 12:20 AM on Sep. 8, 2013

• hmm, our 504 plan is in place to keep little one safe while at school due to her chiari. It alerts all of the teachers to her needs as far as if shes chocking on drinks, has a headache or back hurts they know to administer med asap and call me. If she were to fall they know to watch her closely and they know to tell EMT etc that she has the chiari and should never hyper extend her neck.

so probably they want to know what you feel is in your childs best interest as far as learning etc. I am not sure if he can have an IEP and be in the gifted program, never heard anything on that but I do know you can be on a 504 plan and in gifted program. Sorry, I dounbt that helped.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 12:24 AM on Sep. 8, 2013

• Not a whole lot, but it's still information.

I did first mention an IEP for him, and the principal said a 504 would be better. Essentially all he needs is a calm , quiet place when he starts feeling overwhelmed. He didn't need it very often last year, and he's done a lot of maturing over the summer. But, he's 10, and still a kid, and sometimes he has a bad day.

He HAS acted out aggressively, or had a massive meltdown, when he starts loosing control. I don't know.....I just want to do what's best for him, and will help him the most.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 12:28 AM on Sep. 8, 2013

• I don't know anything about the 504 plan but here's a bump.

Anon, STFU
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 12:29 AM on Sep. 8, 2013

• Oh yeah.....^^^hey look, my first anonobitch. LMAO......I don't mind her, especially since she hasn't come back to explain herself, nor do I expect her to.

Like with life, you gotta take the good with the bad. All y'all, for the most part, are more helpful that bitch. :D
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 12:34 AM on Sep. 8, 2013

• I will second KT's comment. I am sorry that I have no help to offer on a 504 plan but I hope it is something that you and he will benefit from.
    I can give you a bup too.
    Hope someone has the info you are looking for.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:35 AM on Sep. 8, 2013

• IEP and a 504 are similar... but different. I work with kids that have both. The 504 is thru guidance & the IEP are thru SPED... I am going to have to look up the difference so I don't give you misinformation...
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:35 AM on Sep. 8, 2013

• Here.... this is a good explanation... http://www.ed-center.com/504

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:37 AM on Sep. 8, 2013

• Yeah, my daughter has an IEP for speech therapy. I'm a little more familiar with that than a 504.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 12:38 AM on Sep. 8, 2013