Does this seem stupid to anyone else?

I am a big cheerleader for following individual teachers classroom rules. They went to college and into debt and can run their class how they choose. However there is something happening with one of my kids that I cannot stop eye rolling over.

Teacher has a strict no list sent home policy IE birthday invites, valentines cards, etc. Although her class DOES participate in a valentine sharing party each February. But no lists, it's her personal preference. However first and last names (and birthdays, etc) are plastered around the classroom and school. Bus lists and bus numbers, too, at least for the first few weeks of school are readily available. And in a few months a class composite photo w/ 1st and last names is sent home. Why would she just want to make things more difficult the day before valentines day? It seems bizarre to me and I didn't even believe it at 1st. Heard it from another Momma. Thoughts?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 9:38 AM on Sep. 8, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• She went to college and into debt and can run her class how she chooses, but I see no reason you can't ask her about it. I don't think it's unreasonable to say, "Hey, I've never seen this before, I'm just curious about the reasoning behind it."

It does sound very weird, and I can't think of any logical explanation. But maybe she has one.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:41 AM on Sep. 8, 2013

• I understand the no birthday invites done n class bc your not going to invites your entire class to your bday. They don't want feelings getting hurt. But for valentines day she should send home a class rm list of everyone n the class so you can write everyone's name on a valentines card........ I agree that's stupid
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 9:44 AM on Sep. 8, 2013

• That does seem kind of silly, but with all the other ways to get a class list, I don't really see the problem.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:45 AM on Sep. 8, 2013

• That does seem weird. Especially for valentines day. My kids didn't have a list either. They just had to write To: My Friend on all of their valentines so they wouldn't have to take up too much time trying to get the right valentine to the right classmate. Sorry, but that was part of the fun, IMO. Our schools also have a policy about birthday invites, that if your send invites to school for the teacher to put in their folders then you have to include enough for ALL of the kids in the class. Otherwise you have to try to contact the parents separate from school. That said, DD's teacher included a list of all class members in their binder last school year.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:51 AM on Sep. 8, 2013

• I can easily explain that. For birthdays, at most schools it is all or none. So if there are 24 kids in the class, you send in 24 invites and she can easily disperse 24 invitations (with no names on them) to their take home folders/cubbies/whatever system they use to send things home in. Same concept for Valentine's Day cards. You send it 24 cards and each child gets handed a card. No spending an hour or more handing out 24 sets of cards to 24 different people. When it all comes down to it, it is nothing more than a time saver.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:56 AM on Sep. 8, 2013

• I agree with JeremysMom.

Answer by louise2 at 11:11 AM on Sep. 8, 2013

• I assume you mean having a class list at home would make it easier to invite the 6-8 (or however many) kids you want to invite to a birthday party (not inviting them AT school, but inviting them outside of school) because you'd have the contact info.
    We receive a family group list every year and that's typically what we use to contact people, whether it's to send invitations or just to call up someone.
    If the all or none birthday invite policy implies not addressing every invitation (just sending in a blank/generic unaddressed invitation for each child) AND the Valentine's are specifically NOT to be addressed, then maybe her decision not to send home a class list doesn't complicate anything.
    But my thought is, even IF you invite every student, if you indicate RSVP in the party invitation but don't hear back from all families, how do you easily follow up on the ones who didn't respond? A class list with contact info would help.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:41 AM on Sep. 8, 2013

• Valentine's day every kid should know every kidin his classroom.
    She does not need to send home lists.
    I do not agree or disagree with her
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:19 PM on Sep. 8, 2013

• The last couple of years, my child was just given the number of people in her class & had to sign that many Valentines. That way no one is left out, & everyone gets one :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:20 PM on Sep. 8, 2013

• My daughter's class is the same way. The teacher just gives you the number of students in the class room and you just have to write the from and not to. It does make it easier for the parent and my daughter felt more at ease because she has a reading disorder and has a hard time finding which valentine goes to who. I think a lot of teachers are doing it this way now.
    RubyBlue82

Answer by RubyBlue82 at 5:43 PM on Sep. 8, 2013