How do i get my 3 year old to stop peeing her pants. (4 in sept)

Seems like we were all poty trained for a while then lately she is peeing her pants. She pees the bed and the floor. All I do all day is clean up pee. I am considered that she is not going to be able to attend preschool this year if this continues. i have tried stickers,treats and told her that she is going to get in trouble if she doesn't use the potty. What happened and have you had this problem?

Asked by arielbellesmom at 1:56 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think that it all comes with time. If she is regressing then take a step back from it and put her back in pull-ups. She may not like that and start to use the restroom again. I put my DD on the potty all the time. Sometimes she fights me about it but she still goes pee. Also, limit the liquid intake. That may help her to stop peeing all the time. Good luck girl!

Answer by smcelroy at 1:59 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• aiden went through the same thing. try a sticker chart and make her clean up the pee messes. don't scold her though... just have a look on your face of disappointment. praise her when she gets it right.

Answer by whitephantom at 2:07 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• What you may need to do is keep asking her throughout the day does she have to pee. She maybe holding it becasue she doesn't want to miss something.

Answer by africa1 at 2:22 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• let her know that if she stops playing to go potty the toy will still be there when she is done - this is #1 reason kids pee pants into age 5 - they are so worried that they will miss out on something.

Answer by vakatia at 2:29 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Landon (3) still sometimes goes at night, but he does fine during the day. Prizes and rewards are always good. Its often a matter of they just don't want to. They need to learn to always go to the potty.

Answer by Lindsay21488 at 3:02 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I wish I had an answer to this one. My daughter 3 also (4 in Aug) will get busy with whatever she is doing and refuse to stop and go potty. I will tell her to go but she will say she does not have to and a couple minutes later wet herself

Answer by Hanaas_mommy at 3:43 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Here are a few things we did with DS during potty training- vinyl pants with training underwear, "potty page" where he got to put a sticker on a paper hanging in his room each time he went in the potty, M&Ms when he went potty, and some bigger rewards every so often, like breakfast at the donut shop or dinner at McDonalds. Now we are working on the overnight training! Good luck!

Answer by Shell526 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• my son just turned four he doesnt pee himself during the day but was having wet nights i know it sounds bad but i make him pee before bed i wake him up when i am going to bed and if he sleeps in too long i wake him up too go

• My three year was excited and interested at 2/2.5 because of her older sister (5y.o.). Then all of sudden lost interest. I tried everything stickers, charts, treats, etc. Finally I decided to follow the advise most challenging for me which was to make it a "non-issue". Now recently, she seems to be developing an interest again.

Answer by MsBehave at 4:12 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I don't think that telling your daughter she is going to get into trouble if she doesn't use the potty is a good plan. I would try rewarding potty trips instead along with praise. Children love to be praised.

When my children were that age I stopped once each hour and took them to the potty. Yes, TOOK. Because they hate to stop playing at that age. They are afraid they will miss something and often tell you "I don't have any" and then wet themselves 3 minutes later.

I would also suggest having little to no reaction at all when there is an accident. Some children have accidents or act out for attention. If it's a case of looking for attention, when you have no reaction to the fact she's peed the floor instead of the potty she will pick up on that and realize it's not an affective means of getting attention and stop doing it.

Answer by DawnA72 at 10:25 AM on Jul. 15, 2008