How can I keep my newborn from getting my toddler's cold?

I am just looking for some tips to keep my newborn from getting the Flu, my older son has it pretty bad. He is only 15 months old so he doesn't understand to cover his mouth while sneezing, etc. We are washing hands like crazy but I am afraid it will be all in the air with the way he is sneezing. I have been keeping my 3 week old in his swing a lot with a light blanket draped over it so he is all in his own little deal .. help!! I am glad I got the flu shot when I was pregnant, hopefully he got some of the antibodies from it too!

willswifey

Asked by willswifey at 1:51 AM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you breastfeeding? If so, your newborn is more protected than the rest of us. All you can do is try to keep them away from each other, wash your hands before you switch kids and stay on top of disinfecting commonly used surfaces. Good Luck
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:55 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Keep everything disinfected with water/vinegar mix. Keep having everyone wash hands and toys. Good luck. :)

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:57 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• make sure to keep all hands and things in the hosue disinfected..they have the hand wipes and sprays for that by lysol, thats what i use. hope that helps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Well I would make sure tha I had a cool mist humidifyer and lots of hand sanitizer! Try to keep toddler off of baby(hugs kisses) but even then baby might get sick!! I have 2 ,3 yr and they got sick and with all my efforts my 6 wk old baby still has the cold !!! The best thing to do is what you are already doing!! GOOD LUCK AND THE BEST OF WISHES
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• skip the hand sanitizers, that stuff shouldnt be around kids IMO! Just have them wash their hands alot & try to keep touching to a minimal.. Nursing helps ALOT!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:16 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Wash EVERYONES hands often. And keep your toddler out of your babies face. And LYSOL everything you touch often (doorknobs,phone,remote....)

Mrs.Smith84

Answer by Mrs.Smith84 at 7:17 AM on Feb. 19, 2009