Smelly kid in class (boy not girl)

if it was a girl, I'd know more what to do, like encourage my daughter to offer to share her bath and body works spray for example. But obviously a little boy doesn't want to smell like cherry blossoms. My little girl came to me looking for a "be a buddy not a bully" solution and I am stumped....... thoughts?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 10:14 AM on Sep. 8, 2013 in General Parenting

• What does he stink like? What age?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:21 AM on Sep. 8, 2013

• I would think this is something the teacher would handle or maybe the school nurse.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 10:22 AM on Sep. 8, 2013

• I agree that this isn't something a child would be expected to discuss with her peer. Maybe she can discuss with the teacher instead?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:25 AM on Sep. 8, 2013

• As a parent I would call or email the teacher and/or school guidance counselor and let them handle it. If the child isn't bathing, the issue of "why" needs to be raised (do his parents not have adequate facilities, etc, do they not notice, or just not care)

Answer by missanc at 10:47 AM on Sep. 8, 2013

• She need to go tell the teacher her smells. they will deal with it.

Answer by louise2 at 11:06 AM on Sep. 8, 2013

• I think the best way to handle this is to take your child out of the equation. You contact the teacher, either by email, phone or going in, and just tell her that your daughter has come to you, concerned because this child smells. I would explain that your child wants to help but doesn't know how and that you feel it's better handled by an adult. Let the teacher take it from there.

I honestly don't think there's any way your daughter could approach it that wouldn't end up looking bullying in the end - even if the teacher and the little boy understand what she's doing, it's likely his parents will get bent out of shape and claim she's bullying. Better to let the teacher approach the parents, because she can put it simply as "it's been brought to my attention" or "I've noticed" and no one else will be drawn into it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:13 AM on Sep. 8, 2013

• Maybe the teacher is aware of it and has talked with the child and his parents.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:18 AM on Sep. 8, 2013

• This isn't for your daughter to handle. Write the teacher and tell her to do something about it.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:53 AM on Sep. 8, 2013

• This is going to be opposite of what everyone else is telling you. But I'm the parent of a smelly boy, and I WISH a girl would tell him he stinks! He doesn't believe it from us!

He's 14, and since he hit puberty he's become very stinky. I know it's because he's not always good about using deodorant, and with puberty he developed an idea that bathing is for the birds. (And this is the kid who used to spend two hours in the tub!)

I've gotten him to the point where he'll at least get in the shower every day. And we compliment him when he's done as he should. But we can't go overboard on that either.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2013

• 2nd grade and as far as smell she says not poop or pee stink, but "garbage can". it seems like she's done a good job so far week 1 of being kind and ignoring it. i was convinced the 1st day and even the 2nd maybe nerves got to him and it was stress gas.... but she says its not the case. other kids have began to notice it sounds like :(
    hibbingmom

Comment by hibbingmom (original poster) at 1:09 PM on Sep. 8, 2013