How can I break her of this?

recently, my rat terrier has begun dragging her food from her bowl in the kitchen to the middle of the living room carpet where she eats it. She gets a mouthful, runs into the LR, drops it and eats it. Why? The kitchen is clean and her bowl has not moved since she was a puppy. All of a sudden, this behavior out of nowhere and it makes me crazy!! Crumbs on the floor and a dog that knows she should not be doing this but does it anyway.
Advice?

MammaMia72

Asked by MammaMia72 at 2:02 AM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Pets

• Gated her in the kitchen while she eats? My dog did that when we were growing up. It drove my mom CRAZY. He did it his whole life. Good luck!
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:05 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• lol, every little dog I know does this, mine included. He makes me crazy lol He doesn't do it all the time though. My mom has had 3 little dogs since I was a tiny tot and all her's did it too. I think it's a little dog thing. We have resorted to feeding him in the bathroom with the baby gate or door closed. Otherwise my 2 year old would have a dog food diet :o)
    taylorsmommy00

Answer by taylorsmommy00 at 7:19 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• They only way you can TRY to train a dog to not do this is by a strict eating schedule. Only let them eat 2 times a day for a set amount of time. If they don't eat during that time, they don't eat at all. It's mean but it's the only way that it might work.

My dog is the same way. That schedule worked great for him but we had to get him off that when got our other dog who has since passed away. With the hardwood floors I don't care anymore. I have to sweep 2546513564 times a day as it is with dog hair so what is a little dog food to add to it! lol
    MamaKimi

Answer by MamaKimi at 9:05 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• My dog does the same thing, but it doesn't bother me. I don't see what your big deal is, so the dog doesn't want to stand in front of his/her bowl to eat. Why make such a big deal about it??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• My small rat does it too! She's just started it up here in the last two weeks. The only thing I can think of to suggest is try moving the bowls. We've been staying at my mom's house, and with her cat and my DH's dog also inside, she gets nervous. Chloe, my rat terrier, gets fed Beneful, and she does it to make it easier to pick out the pieces she likes most first. I've noticed that my more timid dogs are more afraid of lingering over the bowl than the assertive ones. Maybe just do that, try moving the bowl to a place where she's not as "exposed." It seems to have helped Chloe.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 9:11 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Verbal correction as soon as she starts to leave the "designated feeding area". Say "NONONONO! You eat THERE!" Then praise her for going back over to the proper area. Watch her every time she eats for a while, pick up the food when she isn't actively eating.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:38 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• My yorkie poo doesn the same thing...as did my chihuahua....I just thought it was a lil dog thing.It seems to take her a little bit more time to actually chew they food as where a bigger dog can just gobble it down...I'm not sure though...maybe try a food that has a smaller bit to it? Just a thought...
    Carli26

Answer by Carli26 at 10:06 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• my dog does and always has done the same thing! i think she does it to be near the family........because she only does it when we're not in the room with her. she eats like a normal 'dog' when we're at the kitchen table (her food dish is in the dining area too). soooooo basically - we eat, she eats. (btw, she's a rottweiler)
    kitkatsmommy

Answer by kitkatsmommy at 10:34 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I had a dog that did the same thing. I had a galley style kitchen and I thought it was a claustrophobic feeling. I moved the food out of the kitchen and it solved the problem. I had another dog who always brought her food into the living room where we were. It didn’t bother me, it was no harder than cleaning up after kids but I wanted her to be comfortable where she ate. I moved her food to a corner of the living room and that solved the problem.
    LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 7:10 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• My dog does this every once in a while...don't know why but i think its kinda cute. whats the big deal?
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:26 PM on Feb. 19, 2009