Natural remedies to kill fleas

Anyone know of natural remedies to kill the fleas on my dog? I can't use the chemical ones like Frontline etc. because she breaks out in hives. I have a kitten now also and I can't use anything too harsh on her either. I've been giving my dog baths with Dawn dish soap because that kills fleas, but I need to get rid of them permanently!!!

RubyBlue82

Asked by RubyBlue82 at 4:49 PM on Sep. 8, 2013 in Pets

• You need to get rid of them in the house and in the yard

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:52 PM on Sep. 8, 2013

• Yeah I know that, but I don't want to flea bomb. My dog is super sensitive and who knows what kind of residue it leaves behind. I constantly wash her beding and shampoo the carpets. Is there something I can put in the shampooer to kill them. I've heard of sprinkling Borax on the carpet, but some people say it doesn't work. There has to be some kind of home remedy. What did people do in the olden days?
    RubyBlue82

Comment by RubyBlue82 (original poster) at 5:04 PM on Sep. 8, 2013

• No help on natural treatments, but my vet just gave my FirstShield Trio topical for my dog. I just put it on now so I guess I have to see if she gets any bad reaction.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:04 PM on Sep. 8, 2013

• Borax repels them,but doesn't kill them
    Lemon juice on the dog repels them as well
    Shampooing the rug should kill those on the floor. Put borax under the sofa cushions and mattresses
    Do the animals have reactions to flea collars?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:35 PM on Sep. 8, 2013

• No, but flea collars don't work
    RubyBlue82

Comment by RubyBlue82 (original poster) at 5:53 PM on Sep. 8, 2013

• Arm and Hammer makes a version of carpet fresh that kills fleas, the kitten should be able to have frontline. Dawn dish soap is very bad for a dogs skin.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 6:34 PM on Sep. 8, 2013

• Sprinkle salt on the carpets/furniture, leave it overnight, and vacuum thoroughly in the morning. Add garlic and brewer's yeast to your dog's food. Wash the dog with an herbal shampoo containing eucalyptus oil and wash his bedding in hot water weekly. Try to keep the dog indoors as much as possible.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:50 PM on Sep. 8, 2013

• Outdoors pick a plant .... mint, catnip, sage, rosemary, chamomile, lemon grass and lavender all repel fleas.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:56 PM on Sep. 8, 2013

• Thank you 2autistcsmom. I have never tried salt. I do use a diluted tea tree oil spray, but I probably don't use it as much as I should. The smell is so overwhelming, but I'll use it more and try the salt. And thanks about the plants! I want to start of garden of lavender and catnip now. Thank goodness my dog is old and lazy, so she doesn't need to go out that much. She goes out to potty and sniff for a couple mins, then wants to go back in.
    RubyBlue82

Comment by RubyBlue82 (original poster) at 8:40 PM on Sep. 8, 2013

• My kitten is only 7 weeks so I won't use chemicals on her right now. As far as the dawn dish soap, she has far worse reactions to fleas. It has been helping because I see fewer fleas. I would rather bathe her in Dawn, then watch her scratch and chew herself to death

RubyBlue82

Comment by RubyBlue82 (original poster) at 8:46 PM on Sep. 8, 2013