Once divorced, what is the best way to handle homeschool expenses between spouses?

Homeschooling is very random and expenses tend to be random as well.

How do divorced spouses handle the money end of it? Is there an easy way to cover all of the expenses early or is there a way of doing it all along?

My nieces LOVE being homeschooled!

Thank you!

kathy3366

Asked by kathy3366 at 7:01 PM on Sep. 8, 2013 in General Parenting

• the homeschooling parent pays it to make sure they have what they need and then prays the non custodial parent will be decent enough to pay half.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 7:02 PM on Sep. 8, 2013

• This is something that should have been decided in the divorce papers.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:03 PM on Sep. 8, 2013

• My ex doesn't pay child support, so I just pay all the homeschooling expenses by myself as well. If he did pay, I'd simply get an order that says he has to pay X amount toward the expenses. You'd need receipts and stuff to prove the expenses.

And homeschooling is NOT random. The expenses that go along with it are also not all that random. Supplies and curriculum expenses tend to be pretty easily figured; the only thing really random about it is field trip expenses and if you plan well enough, even those aren't random.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:06 PM on Sep. 8, 2013

• What curriculum are you using? That plays a big part. And then basic supplies, you should split the cost at the beginning of the year and buy enough to last.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:21 PM on Sep. 8, 2013

• Homeschooling is not random
    Are your nieces doing unschooling?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:24 PM on Sep. 8, 2013

• wrong word! not random. last minute???

also, the papers say upfront.

for example, there was a textbook change after 1 month of school and the money was expected immediately. how does one handle these kinds of situations? seems somewhat complicated for both.

the papers are almost signed without a real plan set up.

thank you again!
    kathy3366

Comment by kathy3366 (original poster) at 7:26 PM on Sep. 8, 2013

• It is either covered in the divorce and custody/ support agreements or the parent choosing to homeschool pays what ever the expenses are.
    The noncustodial would pay into it if he chooses (if it is not covered in the agreement)
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 7:46 PM on Sep. 8, 2013

• I wish my ex was helping me out with expenses. Unfortunately he doesn't have to. Get it written into a court order that each parent pays a percentage of costs for books and supplies. Most of the time the one doing the homeschooling will have to buy stuff and then get reimbursed.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:17 PM on Sep. 8, 2013

• It should be in the divorce.

Answer by louise2 at 8:41 PM on Sep. 8, 2013

• If these are your nieces this is not your business.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 9:35 PM on Sep. 8, 2013