I was humiliated at work. I am the only employee and was unjustly accused and had minor events blown out of proportion. How do I handle myself at work?

I was told that as a nanny I was terrifying a 3 year old by telling him that if he doesn't wear sunblock he could get a sunburn, that if he does not wear insect repellent, he could get a mosquito bite and that using fear to gain compliance must stop. I was told that I was in danger of killing her child by giving him full body hugs. The "charges" are ridiculous but the parents sincerely believe them. They had a talk with me and were stunned to learn that I was offended at their critique. They called the critique minor and new techniques minor course corrections but really wanted me to accept blame for terrifying their child. A meeting was called and both parents ganged up on me and tried to get me to accept blame for unjustly scaring their children. How do I recover?

NannyJustina

Asked by NannyJustina at 7:26 PM on Sep. 8, 2013 in Money & Work

• They are entitled to tell you how they want their child raised.
    You either comply or you get a different job.
    It is best to discuss their thoughts on child rearing before accepting a job.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 7:43 PM on Sep. 8, 2013

• Get over yourself
    If you are any good a new job is easy to find
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:33 PM on Sep. 8, 2013

• " terrifying a 3 year old by telling him that if he doesn't wear sunblock he could get a sunburn, that if he does not wear insect repellent, he could get a mosquito bite and that using fear to gain compliance must stop."OP
    I do see why that even can be considered terrifying when you look at what the consequences of getting sun cancer, or lyme disease. Did you tell that to the kids? Or just asked them and the said no, then you said they would get bit or get burned? And what are full body hugs?
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 7:34 PM on Sep. 8, 2013

• I would look for another job in another field.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:39 PM on Sep. 8, 2013

• Of course I didn't tell him the full consequences. I just told him that he could get burned if he didn't wear it. I did not explain the consequences of insect repellent, only that mosquitos can give us sickness. The child wasn't terrified, he was curious. And a full bodied hug is where he hugs me tight, jumping on me and hugging me with his whole body, legs wrapped around me, arms around my neck. (It's more likely that she was jealous and just wanted the big hugs to stop. I don't want to give her motivations that she may or may not have, but the "charges" are completely unfounded! I apologized and promised to be more careful when she first brought it up. But to have a meeting based on ridiculousness taken seriously was devastating. I honestly thought I was going to cry. And then they decided to replace me. It was humiliating and I don't know how to bounce back.
    NannyJustina

Comment by NannyJustina (original poster) at 7:43 PM on Sep. 8, 2013

• How long have you worked for them?
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 7:47 PM on Sep. 8, 2013