Engorgement

How long does it last? I've been putting cold compresses, hot compresses, hot showers, massaging and expressing by hand, nursing, pumping. They will soften up a bit then get super hard. It really hurts esp near armpits. This is day 2 of engorgement.

aztecqueen22

Asked by aztecqueen22 at 11:47 PM on Sep. 8, 2013 in General Parenting

• How old is baby? Nurse on demand and pump or hand express to comfort.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:22 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

• 4 days. Thats what I do but the hardness just comes back.
    aztecqueen22

Comment by aztecqueen22 (original poster) at 12:48 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

• My lactation consultant said to buy purple cabbage leaves and lay them on your breasts, or even wear them under your bra. Something about the ccabbage having natural properties to ease the pain of engorgement. I never got engorged because I fought for every drop of milk my breasts produced, but maybe the cabbage will help you. It does stain clothes, though, so wear something old and raggedy.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:08 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

• Hi there. First child??

Try not to pump or hand express more than you have to. Your supply WILL regulate, producing a lot of milk right now is normal. Mother nature is making sure you keep your baby nice and fed. Once your system gets used to how much milk baby expresses it will adjust to demand.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:41 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

• As soon as you get it a little softer, put baby to breast and let him / her feed at will. Sometimes pumping doesn't work for some women. I didn't work for me with my first. This is of course as long as you plan to breast feed.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:43 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

• Engorgement will come and go for the next few weeks. Takes about six weeks for supply to regulate. Keep doing what you're doing and nurse on demand. Those are your best defenses.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:38 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

• That sounds completely normal for when the milk first comes in. In a few days, maybe not even that long, you will be more comfortable. Make sure your bra isn't too tight near your arm pit where you feel lumps. A too-tight nursing bra might cause the area that's being compressed to not get emptied when you nurse and cause mastitis.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 1:18 PM on Sep. 9, 2013

• Ya I just took my son to his first appt and his doctor mentioned cabbage (green). Guess its been working because the swelling is going down. I can actually sleep for 2 hrs without it getting back to being hard as basketballs. No not my first child. I honestly don't remember the engorgement lasting longer than 2 days with my daughter. I was actually pumping a lot but the lactation nurse and a nurse from birthing center did say to pump only to soften areola. Which I have been doing and letting my son breastfeed. That's been going well since they told me other than the soreness and rawness of nipple. I'm using lanolin after every feeding. Yes I do want to fully breastfeed this time with my son. My daughter wouldn't latch on. Thank you everyone for the help.
    aztecqueen22

Comment by aztecqueen22 (original poster) at 4:57 AM on Sep. 11, 2013