Homemade halloween costume

So my daughter is set on being cat dog (90s Nickelodeon show) for Halloween. Any suggestions on how I can make it? I'm kind of stumped ... I was thinking maybe attaching cats 1/2 of body and head starting at her hips draping down like a cape but then it'll just be flat is there away to make it 3d like . Maybe I can stuff it??? Any suggestions

Cherriemama831

Asked by Cherriemama831 at 2:25 AM on Sep. 9, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'm thinking footie pajamas sewn together?

I don't think they had costumes for that even when the show was new!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:37 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

• Oh crap is all I have to say! What a hard costume to make!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:47 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

• Wow, that is hard, makes my skeleton princess I have to make seem like a walk on the park

All I picture is one of them coming out like a tail, but do not think you want it to drag, could be a tripping issue
    May be like a tail, but coming out the middle of her back, and stuffed well

Good luck!
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:36 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

• Yikes- I think I'd be pushing a different cartoon for a bit!
    I always made costumes, but that one would be a serious pain in the arse! I have no idea how you'd go about it
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:38 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

• STUPID CM
    I tried to post pics, then just ONE pic but it won't let me...unless I do it super huge...
    anyhow, I googled catdog costume and every one that it showed was a 2 person thing- connected on thier backs
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:45 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

• http://www.ehow.com/how_7697451_make-catdog-costume.html

Like charlotsomtimes said, I believe the instructions are for a 2 person costume.  You could also - instead of buying a second hoodie for a second person, you could sew up the blanket and make it a head, draw the face on and then make it's arms like attached at the hip (in effect making something similar to backpack straps for your DD to hold the other side (cat or dog) against her back like they are linking arms.  I hope I'm describing that in a way that you can imagine it.  

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:25 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

• lol
    I wouldn't want to turn her down! But yikes!

My thought was that maybe her head/torso should NOT be part of the costume, and that the "cat" & "dog" parts should emerge out on either side. There often is a CatDog sign above and between them (that could be at her head, maybe. Either integrated into a mask so it can cover her face, or on a hat, or maybe something hung around her neck or on her chest. So that her head isn't really part of the "costume," but the costume is something she wears, built ONTO her.

No immediate ideas on constructing it but maybe conceptualizing it that way will help come up with the "how."

girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:19 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

• Or yes, out the front-back (instead of out the sides) like the backpack idea above.
    Stuffed heads for each, one attached at her chest & the other to her back held on via backpack-type straps.

I did a great alligator costume shaped out of foam (then spray painted.)
    Ping pong ball eyeballs, etc.
    You can get a lot of shape/dimension for a body that protrudes and holds its own shape by using a sheet of foam, plus it is lightweight, and you can construct small details (like ears, or a separated jaw portion with the "inside" of the mouth painted) out of the same material, hot-glued on. And it is inexpensive!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:25 AM on Sep. 9, 2013