• In the Spotlight:

Do you have a good pot roast recipe?

What kind of meat do you use? Liquid?

I like mine with a lot of root vegetables. Carrots, potatoes and parsnips. Those are the best part to me, I could almost enjoy it without the meat and just have the vegetables!

Anyways, good recipes? Recipes for gravy on top too?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 2:32 AM on Sep. 9, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I made it one time and the sauce got thrown away and it was the worst day of my whole life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

• You can always make the sauce again, no need to swear off pot roast forever. Strange.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 2:39 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

• I like to mix up cream of mushroom soup, dry onion soup mix, mushrooms, and a smidge of garlic powder, and pour it over the meat with carrots, potatoes, and onions.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:14 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

• I like to put mine in a crock pot w/ carrots, red skin potatoes (w/ skin still on), onions & mushrooms. I use a beef broth & sometimes a little gravy to let it simmer or slow cook. Great- that sounds so good I think I may have to make one of those this week! :p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:58 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

• I don't think you can beat a crock-pot for cooking a roast. I spray the cooker. Then layer the veggies on the bottom and put the meat on top. I usually use just salt and pepper to season and pour a can of beef broth over it all. Put the lid on and let it cook all day. You can use the cheaper cuts of meat to cook it this way, because it will be fall apart tender when it is done!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:31 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

• Oh.....for the gravy...When the roast is done, remove it and the veggies from the crock, and thicken the broth with a little cornstarch and cold water mixed together. Yummy and easy!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:32 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

• I buy a roast marked pot roast. :) I brown the entire outside and then put it on a heavy pot with onions and a cup and a half of beef broth. I bring it to a boil and then simmer it for an hour. Then I add carrots and potatoes and finish simmering until it is done. To make the gravy I take everything out of the pot and pour the broth through a strainer into another pot. I bring it to a boil and add flour (made into a thin paste with a bit of water) then simmer to thicken it.
    The Joy of Cooking has a very good version of this method of doing a pot roast.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 10:17 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

• I rub the roast in olive oil, and then season (salt, pepper, garlic powder) and sear it (sirloin, or round roast) in my dutch oven, then cover it with beef broth, chopped onions, and put it in the oven at 325 for 2-3 hours depending on the size of the roast. I don't add any other veggies because they can get mushy.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:01 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

• Ingredients

* 2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
    * 1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
    * 1 1/4 cups water
    * 5 1/2 pounds pot roast

Directions

1. In a slow cooker, mix cream of mushroom soup, dry onion soup mix and water. Place pot roast in slow cooker and coat with soup mixture.
    2. Cook on High setting for 3 to 4 hours, or on Low setting for 8 to 9 hours.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:15 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

• Oh, and for the gravy, mix small amounts of cornstarch into the liquid until it's the desired consistency. Flour will work, but it clumps easily, and can mess up the taste of the gravy.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:16 AM on Sep. 9, 2013