Feeling so nervous about my 12 week scan!

I've got it on Thursday, and I'm petrified! It feels different to my last pregnancy, I almost feel this pregnancy isn't being taken seriously, which sounds ridiculous I know! But with my first pregnancy I was made to do a urine test at my doctors office, and blood tests were taken. This time I took the test myself at home, and doctors literally gave me the phone number of a midwife and sent me on my way. I saw a midwife last week who did no tests either. So my only confirmation of my pregnancy is the test I took 10 weeks ago and the fact that I feel sick most days! Deep down I know everything will be fine, but I guess nerves just before hand are normal!

kylie_bob

Asked by kylie_bob at 6:14 AM on Sep. 9, 2013 in Pregnancy

• It makes sense that the differences in proceeding make you feel uncomfortable, or nervous.
    But I wanted to say that I have never had a blood test to confirm pregnancy before. My only test or confirmation was the home pregnancy test.
    The midwife practice I used for my first pregnancy had a routine 8 week transvaginal ultrasound (that's what they scheduled me for when I called in to report the pregnancy, even though it meant waiting to see anyone.)
    The second time I had an ultrasound at 14 weeks (wasn't sure about my dates and we scheduled it to get measurements to help with that. I had thought I was about 11 weeks along, so it was good to have that scan. Plus we found out we were expecting twins!)
    But nobody ever did a blood test, checked hcg levels, or did other follow up to the news that I had had a positive home pregnancy test.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:33 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

• If you are not satisfied with the level of care they are providing, then speak up. If they won't change their ways, then get a new Dr. You need to feel comfortable with whomever you choose to help you thru this journey. I hope all goes well. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:53 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

• If it can reassure you, my gyn didn't test for pregnancy because I had already gotten a positive test. She said it wasn't necessary to "confirm" the results. False positives are virtually unknown. Don't worry because once you hear your baby's heartbeat you'll be fine :)
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 6:52 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

• I understand how you feel. I was supposed to be infertile, and had struggled to conceive for years, so my pregnancy actually felt tenuous to me till I heard that one-of-a-kind sound, the baby's heartbeat. Hold onto that, Mama, it's coming.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:25 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

• P.S. Best wishes for a great appointment on Thursday! I hope the time passes quickly for you.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:35 AM on Sep. 9, 2013