Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am a 16 year old teen mom, Ill be 17 this October 26th. I want to know if its LEGALLY okay, for me to move out of my parents house.

Answer Question

Asked by Sofia423 at 8:52 AM on Sep. 9, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 3 (26 Credits)
Answers (16)
  • Where do you plan on moving? Are your parents on board with this move? Depending on where you want to go, you may have a hard time finding a landlord that will rent to you due to your age.

    Answer by QuinnMae at 8:54 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

  • What is your state law? I know in child support cases, when a child has a child then child support can be ended because some states feelt hey have reached their age of maturity?

    As long as you have somewhere to go that is safe, I cant see you being forced to go back. If there is a safety issue at home or its really bad for some reason I am sure you can leave with good cause.

    You should call legal aid

    Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 8:59 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

  • I plan moving in with a friend, which her parents are very helpfull. Her parents dont mind helping me, its just that they want to make sure its legally okay. My paremts dont want me to do anything , they say they have all rights over me and my daughter. My mom says that she will report me as a runaway if i ever move out of her house.

    Comment by Sofia423 (original poster) at 9:00 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

  • What state are you in? It may be that once you have a child you're considered emancipated.

    Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:04 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

  • I am in Texas.

    Comment by Sofia423 (original poster) at 9:06 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

  • She has no rights to your child. She cannot make decisions for your baby and she can't make decisions with regards to your pregnancy and the birth of the baby.

    What is happening at home that is making you want to leave?  Let's start with that and see where that takes us.


    Answer by QuinnMae at 9:08 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

  • Google tells me that you are not automatically emancipated at the birth of a child but you DO have all rights concerning the parenting of said child. In other words, your mother has no control over your child but she will continue to have parental rights over you until 18.

    Really, you need to call legal aid and speak to an attorney. This seems complicated to me and you want to make sure you do everything by the book. You CAN go to court and request emancipation but that will mean that you are an adult. Being an adult means having a place to live, being able to provide for your child and all the other things that come with being a grown up

    Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:11 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

  • did your mother have to sign a financial waiver in order for you to take the baby home? If so that is all it is, that she is to see to it the baby is financially taken care of, does not give her legal claim to your child.

    she would have to go to court to get custody so unless you signed your child over or the child was taken you can take your child wherever. I would seek counsel and move if you can.

    Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 9:22 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

  • I'm not sure about the laws in your state... But your mother cannot make decisions for your daughter and has no legel rights to her! But as for you she does you may want to contact a lawyer and find out ... But you may have to ride it out til your 18 sweetie best of luck

    Answer by rachel216 at 10:17 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

  • I am curious to know why you want to leave, it most likely isn't a good idea for you to uproot your child and move in with a friend's parents, if you are being abused you need to involve the authorities. If you just don't like living there because there are too many rules etc. You need to grow up and do what is best for your child to have a loving enviroment, unless you have legal emancipation your parents do have rights over you.

    Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 10:18 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.