Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Why can't we breathe?!

For about 3 months now my husband, my son, and myself have all been waking up in the middle of the night having a hard time breathing. This results in my husband and son coughing up a storm while my entire body is aching from having to take so many deep breaths throughout the night.

We have had our house checked for mold, changed our air filters for the AC, went to the doctor. Nothing seems to help! I would move out of this house tomorrow if we weren't locked into a rent. The 3 of us are just miserable and absolutely exhausted from lack of good sleep. Has anyone experienced anything like this before? We are NOT sick, because once we all leave the house we start to slowly feel better. I could use some suggestions right about now!

Answer Question
 
BraydonsMama262

Asked by BraydonsMama262 at 9:29 AM on Sep. 9, 2013 in Health

Level 13 (1,323 Credits)
Answers (15)
  • Are you SURE it isn't mold?
    maecntpntz219

    Answer by maecntpntz219 at 9:30 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

  • You have already checked for everything that popped into my head as a cause. It just seems so odd that it's affecting all of you like that. I hope someone else has some suggestions for you...

    IhartU

    Answer by IhartU at 9:32 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

  • Do you have carbon monoxide detectors in your home?
    QuinnMae

    Answer by QuinnMae at 9:32 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

  • QuinnMae

    Answer by QuinnMae at 9:35 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

  • Dry? Maybe a vaporizer will help?
    tessiedawg

    Answer by tessiedawg at 10:09 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

  • Seriously though, OP, I would highly recommend getting a CO detector if you don't already have one. If you do have one, make sure you have a fresh battery in it. If there is one hooked up then test it with the test button. The fact that you feel ill and it makes you feel weak, yet you slowly start to feel better when you are away from the house is a huge clue that it's something IN the house. CO is odorless, colorless, tasteless and most importantly, DEADLY.

    QuinnMae

    Answer by QuinnMae at 10:16 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

  • Allergens? Are there new plants this season that you haven't had around before? Has new carpet been installed? And the carbon monoxide detector is an excellent suggestion. My realtor gave me two, one for each floor, as a housewarming gift when I closed on my condo. He said he always gives them to his clients because a woman he sold a house to years ago lost her two children and became disabled from undetected carbon monoxide, and it's his personal mission to spread the world about safety. As an asthmatic, I know how miserable troubled breathing can be, so I hope you all find a solution soon.
    Ballad

    Answer by Ballad at 11:14 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

  • What's the humidity level in your house? Could be too moist. We're struggling with that right now.
    idareyou

    Answer by idareyou at 11:39 AM on Sep. 9, 2013

  • My guess is that water has seeped into the basement and there is mold you cant see in the carpet or padding it could be radon




    http://www.epa.gov/radon/


    Dardenella

    Answer by Dardenella at 12:21 PM on Sep. 9, 2013

  • I do think it's carbon monoxide. We have someone coming to the house today to do some testing.
    BraydonsMama262

    Comment by BraydonsMama262 (original poster) at 12:27 PM on Sep. 9, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN