Kids grown and gone. Husband and I in Menopause, Gaining Weight. Need advice.

I am on a diet and walking routine.
He thinks eatting toast for breakfast, a yogurt and peanuts or chips for lunch and coming home slamming down a large dinner, eatting six fruit cicles in the bath, and maybe some popcorn is ok, 'cause he ate such a small breakfast and lunch. I have explained to him he should eat more in the morning and for lunch and a lot less at dinner time. I can't get it in his head, his BP is up and he gained 10 pounds in six months .

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:13 PM on Sep. 9, 2013 in Diet & Fitness

• Better diet. Get active.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:20 PM on Sep. 9, 2013

• Take a picture of him when he gets out of the shower, blow it up & stick it on the fridge!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:29 PM on Sep. 9, 2013

• Could you just change the household habits so he has to go along for the ride? Don't buy peanuts and popcorn. Cook lighter dinners. Send him off to work with more food for lunch. I know you shouldn't have to baby-sit him, but he's obviously not going to look out for himself right now.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:40 PM on Sep. 9, 2013

• Husband and I in Menopause
    No. he is not going through menopause. he may however be going through andropause

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 2:29 PM on Sep. 9, 2013

• http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/chris-powell-custom-weight-loss-blueprint

So, here's some ideas that may help. GL - it's not an easy thing to do. But at least you have each other :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:31 PM on Sep. 9, 2013

• No popcorn, no toast, and no nuts! As healthy as they put on, they are NOT all that great for you!

Your body processes these foods as sugar. See the glycemic index here: http://www.olsonnd.com/what-foods-that-act-like-sugar/

It sounds to me like he has a semi-addiction to sugary foods? His body will crave these things! There's a link off the first page I gave you, that shows foods that will be good for him to eat.

He needs to mix it up, and include LOTS of green veggies, low-fat meats, and a handful of other things!

There's also a page here: http://www.naturopathyworks.com/pages/cravings.php

This last page is a composite list of things you can eat as a substitute for things he craves, just make sure he's not consuming TOO MANY nuts, as they are a very valuable source of fats... which unless he's burning more than he's consuming, he should not add to his intake!

Best of luck! PM me if you have any ??s!!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 4:27 PM on Sep. 9, 2013

• And to add to all of that: Time to check in with the doctor. If he hasn't had bloodwork or any of the recommended screenings (PSA, colonoscopy) in a long time or at the prescribed intervals, then get him to the doc.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:16 PM on Sep. 9, 2013