If you saw someone living a kind, decent life would you automatically think they were religious?

Say you meet a family and they are loving, kind and decent. They don't drink, smoke, swear, beat their kids and they donate to charity and help those in need through volunteering. Their kids are respectful, helpful and well behaved.

Without asking them, would you assume they were a religious family? Why or why not?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 2:11 PM on Sep. 9, 2013 in Religious Debate

• No. I don't assume anyone's religion based on anything, even if they've got a cross on their neck or an upside down pentagram carved into their forehead.

I would only assume that they are good, decent people who love each other and enjoy giving to others. That's all I would assume.

Religion does not make you a good, kind person - nor does being a good, kind person make you religious.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:14 PM on Sep. 9, 2013

• No. No book can ever be judged by its cover, and no man can see into the heart of another person. Satan himself can transform himself into an angel of light, so one can never assume anything.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:17 PM on Sep. 9, 2013

• No I wouldn't, probably because I know many families like the one you described that aren't religious.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 2:19 PM on Sep. 9, 2013

• it would seem, if you knew that many details about someone's life you would know if they were...
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 2:23 PM on Sep. 9, 2013

• I admit there was a time when I was younger that I would have at least wondered, upon meeting a family like you described, if they were religious, even Christian. Now the question probably wouldn't even occur to me. Living in the world broadens your horizons and teaches you not to judge before you know the facts. I've learned a lot about people with different beliefs even from CM.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:26 PM on Sep. 9, 2013

• absolutely not. some of the most "religious" people are the most abusive and bat shit crazy.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:29 PM on Sep. 9, 2013

• I would never assume such a thing...religion often makes people the complete opposite.....

Answer by older at 2:35 PM on Sep. 9, 2013

• I would not, there are those who will fight me to the end that there is no God that are just as good and kind and helpful etc as my friends who are religious.

luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 2:42 PM on Sep. 9, 2013

• Not necessarily.
    People do and act in what appears to be the same manner for all different reasons.
    We choose to act a certain way. The reason we made the choice is our own.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:55 PM on Sep. 9, 2013

• I asked this because I have had people be shocked when told that we're not a religious family. 'But you're kids are so well behaved and you guys seem so nice!' It's like they thought only religious people could be decent human beings and Atheists have horns growing out of their heads and wallow in debauchery of all kinds while raising smoking, drug addicted children who have dirty clothing, faces, minds and can't talk without swearing...

feralxat, it would seem that way but I talk to a lot of parents while at youth sporting events that I don't talk with otherwise. They don't personally know me but only what I tell them.
    IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 2:58 PM on Sep. 9, 2013