2 year old with fever and diarrhea

My son turned 2 years old last month. Saturday night he was not sleeping well.. he kept crying in his sleep.. coughing a little but nothing major. He woke up in the morning all stuffy, and miserable. Sunday night, same thing, plus a temp of 102.3. Motrin brought down the fever, and he woke up with a normal temp this morning. He has been all congested, with a runny nose, and started having diarrhea today.. and his fever is back up to 102.9. Friday he was exposed to my nephew who is sick with bronchiolitis.. I am not sure if that is connected at all.. do you think this is just the change in seasons --I live in New England-- or do you think it's something more? Looking for friendly advice..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on Sep. 9, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Probably jot related to the cousin.

If it gets any higher id take him in.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 7:13 PM on Sep. 9, 2013

• A fever can't be attributed to a change in seasons. He's probably got something viral and I'd take him in if his fever doesn't break in another day or so and/or if his diarrhea continues. Dehydration is a worry.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:30 PM on Sep. 9, 2013

• ^^^ What prissy said!! I'm also in New England. Rag weed could cause the stuffiness... but not the rest!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:34 PM on Sep. 9, 2013

• Fever means sick to me.

Answer by louise2 at 7:36 PM on Sep. 9, 2013

• Teething?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 8:56 PM on Sep. 9, 2013

• Probably worth a call to the pediatrician, just in case. I hope he feels better soon.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:48 AM on Sep. 10, 2013

• Not teething. He already has all his teeth, unless you think he would be getting his 5 year molars right now, but that is not exactly practical.. So I'm pretty positive, he's not teething.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:08 AM on Sep. 10, 2013

• Probably something your doctor could help you with. Diarrhea is the body's way of trying to remove things like viruses and bacteria. Keep him hydrated. Fever is also another one of the bodies natural defense system. Similar to boiling things to kill bacteria. He probably has an upper respiratory infection and may need antibiotics to help get it under control. I'd definitely make an appointment.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:25 PM on Sep. 10, 2013