Trying to stay diabetes free!

So I went to the Doctors today and I am healthy as ever(which of course is great news), but my hemoglobin levels are slightly elevated! Diabetes runs in my family on both sides and the chances of me getting diabetes is pretty high but my doctor says that it can be preventable and referred me to a nutritionist.

I need help on some ideas, recipes and other tips that can lower my chances of Diabetes. Thanks in advance for sharing ladies!

kyheavensmom

Asked by kyheavensmom at 10:01 PM on Sep. 9, 2013 in Health

• Talk to the nutritionist first... then you will know what kind of recipes you are looking for!!!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:06 PM on Sep. 9, 2013

• That is my plan of course, but it is nice to hear advice and tips from others that may have experienced the same thing!!!!!!
    kyheavensmom

Comment by kyheavensmom (original poster) at 10:07 PM on Sep. 9, 2013

• If you need to loose weight. Do that. Cut back on carbs, sugars, rice, and potatoes.

Answer by louise2 at 10:09 PM on Sep. 9, 2013

• Hemoglobin is iron, nothing to do with diabetes, did you mean something else or misunderstand the doctor?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Sep. 10, 2013

• Remember that although fruits contain fiber and nutrients, they also contain a lot of natural sugars and should be eaten in moderation. Good luck.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:19 AM on Sep. 10, 2013

• Hemoglobin, a protein that links up with sugars such as glucose, is found inside red blood cells. Its job is to carry oxygen from the lungs to all the cells of the body. Glucose enters your red blood cells and links up (or glycates) with molecules of hemoglobin. The more glucose in your blood, the more hemoglobin gets glycated. By measuring the percentage of A1C in the blood, you get an overview of your average blood glucose control for the past few months.
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 1:23 AM on Sep. 10, 2013

• I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2000, and I had a 20 year relationship with a type 1 diabetic. The nutritionist will teach you what you should and should not eat, and how much of it you can eat. My best friend is my blood sugar tester. I have learned that I can eat potatoes, but I can't eat rice. Rice spikes my blood sugar, potatoes don't. Just my weird body chemistry. . The glycemic index is a good resource. . If you need to lose weight, that will really help. When I lost 100 lbs, I was able to¬†eliminate one of my medications. Exercise helps. I exercise for half an hour 6 days a week. It helps keep my blood sugar at a good level. My nutritionist said i could eat as many non starchy veggies as I wanted. She also said always combine starchy carbohydrates with a protein. Fiber is good for blood sugar control. You can subtract some of the carbs if the food is high in fiber. I have read that cinnamon helps blood sugar.
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 1:56 AM on Sep. 10, 2013

• My nutritionist gave me a daily limit of carbs, fat and protein, and made out several days of meal plans based on what healthy foods I enjoy eating. She taught me portion size and gave me tons of reading materials. The ADA web site is a good resource.
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 2:05 AM on Sep. 10, 2013

• This is one of the best websites for all the information you need:

http://www.bloodsugar101.com/

It explains how, what and why. Start there.

The best tip I can give you is to start eating as if you were already diabetic and taking care of your needs. If you're overweight, start by losing the extra pounds. Also, get more exercise. Try to walk at least half an hour per day. Exercise is one of the most underrated "meds" that exist.

goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 3:27 AM on Sep. 10, 2013

• My dr told me the best thing I can do to avoid diabetes is to stay at a healthy weight.

Answer by missanc at 6:43 AM on Sep. 10, 2013